Food and Wine Winemakers of the Year

In their November Issue, F and W, names 5 winemakers of the year. Steve Matthiasson, whom I recall from a glowing Jay McInerny piece, but I haven’t had the wine. Three of my absolute favorites: Maggie Harrison, Aaron Pott and Helen Keplinger, along with Gavin Chanin. Nice recognition for some very talented folks.

We’ll have to send you some wine to try! Thanks for the props…we’re definitely in good company.

I’ve had the pleasure of tasting through most of the Matthiasson lineup (Hi, Jill!) and can vouch for the quality of the wine. The White Wine was our house white for the summer!

Some good Sommeliers too in that issue. Jacob Gragg is such a smart young man. He is no longer at Aria in Atlanta. He is at the Georgian Room at the Cloister. Props to him also.

Three of the best wines I’ve had in the last twelve months were made by these folks. 2008 Botanica by Maggie, 2007 Seven Stones by Aaron and 2007 N=1 by Helen.

Have had multiple wines from Maggie, Aaron and Helen. The other two WMs are net new to me. Congrats to all.

Matthiason and Massican (not mentioned) are probably two of the most exciting non-Cabernet producers in Napa at the moment. Both great producers and wines. (Hi Jill as well).

Totally agree, Sarah. And I’d add ArbeGarbe to that list as well.
I tried Steve’s Refosco (the only true Refosco dal PeduncolaRosso in Calif I believe) and it was the best I’ve ever had…
including from Friuli.
Tom

I want to know why Pott looks like he is wearing a Pool zip up in his photo??

+1 for Steve and Jill! Try their Refosco if you can get your hands on it…

yes… and yes, for whites.

Low to no oak, all alchs under 14% (and many under 13%), odd varietals here and there, and super cheap. I might have to do a big post on these simply because there are so many people here who seem to increasingly like that style, and the people are good behind the two brands. Did I mention most of the wines are inexpensive? Within wine country here, lots of talk about them.

Its no surprise to see Gavin Chanin here. As stated, his tutelage under Jim Clendenen and Bob Lindquist, which I observed, could not have been more appropriate for his new venture and besides, his father and Jim worked together in the 80s, so its a family affair.
Raj Parr is absolutely one of the most knowledgeable ITB for both food and wine. He`s also a really nice guy. Great attributes.