Allemand

So I had an epiphany a few years ago at a Copain tasting at Hearth where an '04 Allemand Reynard Cornas was served as a ringer and to me was the WOTN. I haven’t been able to find the '04 at a reasonable price since then (narrowly missed the boat on a small parcel that arrived at Chambers St. a year back) but bit recently on the '05 and '09. Can anyone comment on which (recent) vintages are worth seeking out? Any other producers that make a syrah similar style-wise?

cheers,
scott

Yum. All vintages.

Exactly.
I can’t afford them anymore but I would buy them all if I could.
Best, Jim

In my opinion, Allemand stands alone. Now pricey, but worth it.

By the way - bury your 2005s.

Allemand doesn’t seem to do ‘off’ vintages. I’ve had some amazing bottles of his 08 Chaillot, and think his wines are worth acquiring in any vintage.

buy what you can, ask questions later.

Brilliantly put. [cheers.gif]

I’ll be bringing an '07 Chaillot (and maybe an '06 Chaillot, too) to a dinner in a couple weeks. Decant recommendations?

All vintages that I’ve tried (99 and later, plus a few scattered earlier) have been outstanding. 2001 is particularly good. 2004 was amazing on release but I think is in a bit of a valley right now. Even the weaker 2008 vintage is excellent.

imho one of the best

[cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

Ugh . . . one. more. month. to. shipping. season.

have a fair bit of this on orders along with some Clape.

+1

Love love love Allemand.

You guys have me salivating. I’ve got just a couple of 04s (Chaillot and Reynard) buried in the celler somewhere and will have to break one out tonight and report back.

Taking one for the team and all that…

I thought this for years (replaced Chave for me in the early 00s). I’d add Texier Pergaud to that now. It must be the marketing.

there is no such thing as a “bad vintage” from such a great winegrower and terroir. Buy everything you can afford. Don’t ignore the Chaillot. It is at the same quality level.

I had an 04 Chaillot recently that was killer and also a stellar 1998 Reynards. These don’t need to be buried (well generally, some vintages do).

My 1994 Reynards still have $30 pricetags on them…sigh.

There is a bottle of 1995 Allemand Reynard on Winebid for a mere $225 plus buyer’s commission! Even the 1999 Verset is going for less…

Jeebus! I can get the Chaillot for about $65 - $75 out here … I take it that’s a good price?

shipping. season. underway. in. northeast.
My fair bit UPS’ed to me last night. [cheers.gif]

Here’s my brief note from last night – pretty impressive stuff. Will update tonight…

• 2004 Thierry Allemand Cornas Chaillot - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (10/18/2012)
    Almost black in the decanter. Raw, wild blackberry on the expressive nose, with charcoal, iron and blood. More fruit on the palate than nose – sour cherry and cranberry with smoke moving to ash/charcoal and into iron through the very long finish. Seemed to get a little bit leaner with air and time in the glass – will revisit tonight and update… (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Allemand, Jamet, and Chave are the top of my Syrah list. Awesome stuff.