TN: 1997 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie (France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie)

• 1997 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (12/17/2012)
    The “least” of Jamet’s 3 1997 cuvees, after Brune and Les Sommets d’Harys. This is a monster, and a perfect expression of old school, Cote Rotie winemaking.

Little sign of age on the rim, still plummy red.

Upon opening, a brutish nose of espresso, earth, smoked game, bacon, tapenade, salami, dark chocolate, iron and white pepper - smells like the delicatessen of my dreams.

The palate reveals ripe and slightly roasted sweet black and red fruits. Still very tannic, with a pleasant acid spine. Cherries, raspberries, plums, damsons, blueberries wrapped around a meaty core of aged syrah. More open than the Sommets drunk this summer, and with a stronger fruit profile

According to JLL, Jamet rates his 1997s very highly, and it is easy to see why with this bottle. A brilliant bottle. Next time, I’ll try it vs the Brune and Sommets

Posted from CellarTracker

I had this a couple of months back and couldn’t agree more. Quintessential N. Rhone meatiness!

Weird…I have a few of these still (i think) and they have the old label. I thought Jamet didn’t go to the new label until the 2001 vintage.

Correct - I suppose this is a later release by the domaine.
BTW: the old label was much more beautiful - this looks like chicken shit …

The wine however is fabulous!

The domaine indeed has a wine library and they release some older stuff from time to time. Would have to double check which label is used, old or new.

they have tons of back stock at the winery. tons of large format, etc. was surprised given they small size of the estate.

Road trip!