1988 Burgundies: your experiences?

Interesting vintage. Have found few wines that I like, but friends swear by it. Thoughts?

I like it. This is the first Burgundy vintage I ever bought in a “big way” in terms of quantity, although I was still relatively new to Burgundy at the time so not buying Grand Crus. I think I still have a bottle or two left from a case of Serafin Gevrey Chambertin VV that has always drunk well, and I also enjoyed my first experience with Joblot’s Givry in that vintage, also quite satisfying.

That said, I still prefer '90 when you’re talking about that general time period.

Personally (and generally speaking), I love the vintage, but it’s not for everyone. I tasted many of them when they first came in and bought a lot (for me, in light of my income at the time anyway) - then when parker discovered what burgundy tastes like when the fruit goes to sleep and the wines have the temerity to include acid and tannin, retailers started dumping them - I only wish I’d bought more than I did.

This is a vintage that has needed time - but the CdB wines are waking up and are delicious right now. Of course, one must like shape and structure to their wines to enjoy this vintage but for those of us who realize loving Burgundy is all about the structure, it’s a great vintage.

I’m with you Mark, I’ve questioned many winemakers about the vintage and they generally go by it’s to young. The wines were pretty mean with screechy acidity upon release and have never been pleasant to drink. I’ve had a few rare exceptions but it’s a vintage I just can’t manage to get pleasure from (kinda like 75/86 Bordeaux). Give me 85/89/90/91 thank you.

I have had a lot of 1988s I have really enjoyed.

I’m a fan as well, especially the northern Cote de Nuits (Gevrey, Morey, & Chambolle). Like Maureen noted, many were shut down hard for some time, but a lot of those have opened. I’m remembering especially wonderful bottles from Bachelet, Rousseau, Dujac, and Roumier over the past few years (although the Dujacs had a little brett, which I loved but if you’re sensitive they may not be for you). Other communes did well, but those northern communes especially excelled, at least in my experience.

But it’s a vintage for people who like structure and restraint in their Burgs. I have friends who much prefer the riper, more fruit forward '90s.

Cheers,
-Robert

I think it’s a wonderful vintage with a grip, drive, aromatic intensity and acidity that I really enjoy. Some wines seem to be ready and then the next bottle has retreated and I’d say there’s no hurry at all even at a quite modest level. I certainly wouldn’t even contemplate opening one without food, though.

Hey, Tom, have you had any NSG - specifically Chevillon Vaucrains and Faiveley Les Porrets St George - lately?

'88 Leroy les Boudots was mind blowing.

Found a few (mostly DRC) in the past to be pretty hard work, but we have a '88 DRC Richebourg as one of the wines we are opening for NYE, so should be interesting…

As well as the 1988 Leroy Beaux Monts! Enjoyed numerous others, including a few DRC’s, Echezeaux and Grands Echezeaux! Generally enjoy 1988 Burgs.

[cheers.gif]

Caveat – I have very little experience with the 88 vintage for burgundy – it was released long before I became interested in wine, and even longer before I became interested in burgundy.

That having been said, I’ve tried a number of 88 burgs over the last 5 years and found them to be uniformly delicious – multiple 88 Grivot Richbourgs being chief among them.

I’ve heard, from good sources who were burgundy collectors when the 88s were released, that these wines were very structured (i.e. lots of tannin,heavy, difficult, closed, etc.etc.etc.). Most of those folks – who’ve tried the 88s again in the last few years – have been very impressed with what they’ve become.

Accordingly, my vote of “YUM!,” may be a good one. YMMV.

I really enjoy the wines. In fact, i’m backfilling in my cellar with many (I’m too old to be buying current release). As mentioned, great structure and I don’t think in danger of going over the hill soon. . Recent excellent '88 bottles include Ponnelle Bonnes Mares, DRC Grands Echezeaux, Rousseau Clos St Jacques, Lafarge Clos des Chenes, Drouhin Charmes and Mongeard Mugneret Vosne Romanee Suchots to name a few.

+1 for the 88 Rousseau CSJ. Rated 4 times in the mid 90’s. Still has a few years to reach its prime.

I wasn’t around to drink these young, but have had several delicious bottles during the last few years. The vintage character really suits my tastes. An '88 Rousseau Chambertin last spring is probably my WoTY and one of the best red Burgundies I’ve ever had.

Last year 88 Rousseau CSJ was outstanding as was the Roumier Bonnes Mares. Meo Brûlées was also pretty good. I have several 88s in my cellar and just picked up a bottle of Meo Richebourg. Thanks MK.

The Chevillon was still austere I think two years ago. I’d love another chance at it. The Faiveley did seem as though it would never come around a while back, something I’ve found with most 88s from there. I expect it just needs another decade!

Guess i will just have to drink my pousse d’or, truchot, and bachelet when i want 88s in the near future

This is a great wine.
I had it at the last NY Paulee I attended a few years ago.

Had the Meo Richebourg…was very good indeed, and seemed to be drinking very well…