TN: 2007 Copain Pinot Noir Wentzel Vineyard

• 2007 Copain Pinot Noir Wentzel Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (12/25/2012)
    I drank this one too young; probably would have been better off opening one of my '09’s rather than my only '07. The fruit is still boisterous and a bit candied for my taste, but the complexity was compelling. Sweet red fruit, apple, scant molasses, and dense forest/herbal notes. Fine wine, but I think I would have enjoyed it more had I waited several years.

Posted from CellarTracker

Warren, happy holidays.

The 2007 Copain pinots have god stuffing, which was also highlighted by Alan’s note on the 2007 Kiser En Bas that he put into CT since y/day. Red fruit, apple, and forest notes are dead on good descriptors for Copain AV, too.

The common thread between ALL the Copain Pinots is that McIntosh Apple nose and taste.
I quite like it! flirtysmile

TTT

What did I write? By that time I was fairly happy, having started with eggnog, couple whites, couple more reds :wink:

Haven’t seen your TN note, but I suspect you mentioned the creamy mouthfeel and nutmeg aromas.
Merry Christmas,
Warren

Could have been nutmeg, for some reason I found orange rind. The Kiser always seems to me to be a bit rounder and fuller than the Wentzel, which I find more lithe and higher toned. Whatever it is, there is definitely an Anderson Valley terroir that flows through all the Copain wines.

Have you done a comparative apple tasting?

I was talking about the eggnog! [wink.gif]

Can’t say that I have.
But I love McIntosh apples and Copain Pinots abound with that nose and flavor profile.

TTT

Just be on the lookout for Bill Klapp.

I’ll have to watch for this next time. I have not noticed it, but Copain wines do have fascinating noses. The Syrahs have some of the most interesting aromas I have experienced with that grape. The Les Voisins 2009 was really nice.

Oh, duh. Good one! OK, so eggnog tasting notes: For Christmas eve we had Strauss Family Creamery, a new local organic producer I picked up on a lark. Good, with creamy nutmeg notes :wink: But a little on the thin side. Tonight we have Bud’s, which is much richer and full bodied, with lush velvety vanilla notes (though I don’t think they use much new oak). A good dose of brandy turns this into both appetizer and dessert. 91 on the Strauss, 94 on the Bud’s :slight_smile:
Merry Christmas!

From that recent bonanza of Copain on WineBid:

2007 Copain Pinot Noir Wentzel Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (7/13/2019)
Second (and last) of my recently purchased bottles from WineBid.
This bottle was in great shape. Good Anderson Valley character, with bright acidity and nuance. Flavorful, but on the lean side and missing something in depth, so not a great wine, but enjoyable nonetheless. (90 pts.)