TN: 2005 Catherine et Pierre Breton Bourgueil Clos Sénéchal

• 2005 Catherine et Pierre Breton Bourgueil Clos Sénéchal - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Bourgueil (1/5/2013)
    I wanted something that was not loaded up on fruit yet still satisfying. Entering the cellar, upon spying this I worried if it would also fit my wife’s big fruit/big wine tastes. Popped and poured. The nose has lots of herbal notes, green tobacco, dried burnt earth (if that makes sense), but also some black cherries and red currants. On the palate, this is complex and layered. Black cherries, some cassis, an underlying layer of charcoal and some green bell pepper/green tobacco. This wine was delicious with enough fruit to satisfy, but also lots of other stuff going on but in a proportion that makes the wine not come off too green or flavorless. We finished bottle pretty quickly although it did go better with a bit of food. I can see this being a love or hate it wine for some, especially in its youth, but right now, I think even those who don’t appreciate this style could enjoy this wine. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I really like these wines. Never let them age, though, which is my bad.
Would love to try one with a few years on it like this.
Sounds great.

Love these. Many years of life ahead for most of their 05s. I’ve particularly enjoyed the Perrieres. Pierre is a real character.

RT

I have the 05 Perrieres and Senechal, but haven’t opened any since an early trial for learning purposes. They strike me as 10-year minimum cellar wines. Thanks for the report.

It’s been a few years…so popped a 2005 Breton Perrieres last night. It’s in a very good place. Lovely fruit integration and balance with hints of the herbal, tobacco, savory green pepper qualities that can add interest to Cab Franc. Layered with underlying mineral/loam character. Too gluggable. Not showing its age at all. Many years of good drinking ahead. Only 2 left, didn’t buy enough.

RT

Brings back memories, Joe Dressner had raved about it. so I bought the last bottle from CSW and drank it young. Wish I could have gotten more.

Dennis, remind me about this, as I’ve got some 1996 and 1997 of that bottling left along with several others. They have been sensational in recent years.

I did miss that last Loire dinner. Let’s get one together this spring. [cheers.gif]

I bought a case of the 2002, my first purchase from Rimmerman after moving to WA state in 2003. Most were awesome, unbelievable spectrum of Loire franc flavors that came in a light bodied package of under 11% alcohol iirc. Only problem was there were a few bottles that were bretty. Sort of the clove Brett and not the outhouse version but still. I think I have 1-2 left. I’ve tried 2 ‘05s so far that haven’t been bretty.

I really like Breton, but am often disappointed that they never seem to show their age. In the past year, have drank ‘89, ‘90, ‘95, ‘03 and ‘14 and they all tasted young. I’ve heard the early bottles - library releases - were reconditioned, but I love the aged flavors of Loire CF.

Don’t know if you’ve tried them, Jerome Lenoir Chinon Les Roches tastes “aged” to me even on release. They do hold them back a number of years before they get to the market and not widely available really, but well worth trying if you find any.

I’ve enjoyed a handful of Lenoir Chinons…enjoy the style. Yes, Breton’s can age surprisingly slowly…still darned tasty. I tend to pound the Nuit d’Ivresse bottling young (2014s and 2015s currently). They can easily last a decade+ or drink well now…nice option to have.

RT

I still haven’t touched my Breton 2002s and 2005s. And just a couple 2004s left that may have even more potential. Might be time to open the ‘02s.

The Chinon Picasses is still my favorite Breton wine, then Clos Senechal. I think ‘04 was the last year for Picasses.

Have not tried Lenoir, but sounds more up my alley.

My favorite Breton bottling is the Franc de Pied. Does not taste as young as other bottlings and has a uniqueness I’ve yet to find in the other bottlings.

The Breton Franc de Pied is excellent in many years, Scott calls it - it’s unique.

Lenoir is simply classic Loire Cab Franc. I’m surprised how much the pricing has spiked.

The Breton Chinon St. Louans is also a terrific wine, perhaps less well known than their Bougueils but bangin’ nonetheless.

A 1988 of it was probably my favorite wine of the year. A pile of fall leaves and cotton candy notes dominated.

I didn’t realize the prices spiked. When Selection Massale was selling them retail via an email list they were very reasonable. I last bought the 07 vintage for ~$26 a bottle but never see them for sale anymore.

Crush sent out an offer this year but I passed. Pricing was above what I was willing to pay. As I say that as I just dropped coin on Rougeard, lol.

I am holding just one mag of the 2005 Breton Bourgueil les Perrieres. these notes are encouraging. I am going to hold longer since it in offsite storage.