TNs: 01 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow & 06 Fevre Les CLos

• 2001 Arcadian Pinot Noir Sleepy Hollow Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (1/5/2013)
    Popped and poured. Still a dark ruby. Full nose of briars, blackberry, raspberry, anise, intense florals, earth - whoa! Fresh, tart and complex on the tongue with smoky plum notes, dark raspberry, thyme, licorice, and satisfying sweet grip at the end. Subtle hints of tobacco and mineral intrude. Nicely driven by acidity with enough tannic structure to lend some gravitas. Long finish marked by red fruit and iron flecks. Can’t say how long this wine will age but it seems to just get better. (93 pts.)
  • 2006 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru (1/5/2013)
    Popped and poured. Very pale gold color. Nose of sea shell, grapefruit, lime, white stone. Tight on the palate at first but eventually opened up to reveal steely lime notes, flint, sea brine, and a bit of peach. Arched acidity and firm structure. Lengthy finish of minerals and grapefruit. Showed young, what a relief. Needs time to show its stuff. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the notes. I didn’t get any of the 06 Les Clos but I still have 1 bottle of the 01 Sleepy Hollow … 1 bottle [cry.gif] That was my first Arcadian and still one of my favorites. I think it was $25 when I bought it. Crazy good and not to pileon but Sleepy Hollow has to be the best vineyard in SLH. Thanks for the data point. Gonna keep my last bottle for a special occasion.

Jason

Jason,

The Les Clos was great (and wasn’t around in huge numbers here either) but I confess I opened it early as I was fearing premox. Can’t help but wonder how much better it would have been with more years in the cellar.

I agree on Joe’s 01 and 02 Sleepy Hollow pinots. They are real beauties and have been available as a library wines at a reasonable price particularly if one is a member of the Grand Cru Society.

Cheers,
Doug

Love Arcadian, and Joe’s Sleepy Hollow pinot is year in-year out my favorite of the lineup. IMO, the '01 is his best ever, but the '05 may surpass it. Time will tell.

Tyler,

I’m looking forward to cracking an 05 probably in a year or two. Should be outstanding.

Cheers,
Doug

Sleepy Hollow has some of the oldest vines in the region.
But Joe is the guy who really manages to get the full potential out of this vineyard.
Both his Chard and Pinot age wonderfully!

TTT

Paul,

Interesting. Do you happen to know the age of these vines?

I have to try more of Joe’s chardonnays. Had a 2005 SH which was quite lovely.

Cheers,
Doug

Sleepy Hollow was planted in 1970. Don’t know to what extent those original plantings have turned-over, though.

Brian,

Good info; thank you. Fairly old then, if not replanted.

Cheers,
Doug