2011 Robert Chevillon 1er Crus?

Anyone tasted yet or bought? I’m tempted but don’t want to want to blindly buy an '04 like vintage even, from a great producer like Chevillon.

Now it seems these have moved above the $100 mark, if I read the Envoyer email correctly today. Makes the 07 and 08s at around 80 bucks seem like a deal.

Yea, I no longer have my sights on the LSG. Frankly, I think any vineyard they do can be outstanding so I’ll let the deep pockets grab the theorical $100 “top stuff”. I just don’t want to buy a bad vintage. I’ll spend $75 for Chevillon even though I’ve spent much less in the past. Still awesome producer and value at $75 and even at $125 if you have the budget. I’m just trying figure out if 2011 is marginal or very good like 06, 08, 09 before I jump.

I plan to pick up the 08 Chaignots that you wrote up a few weeks back. I appreciated that note so thank you. Unfortunately, I just can’t get on board with adding wines at 100+ that I need to properly sit for 10 years, or more. I have a few LSG but that might be it, unless I stop spending money on things like golf and food.

Craig, you’re considering the 2011s when, other than the LSG, the 2010s are still somewhat readily available? Perhaps you’ve already stocked up. Has anyone other than Bill Nanson reported the so-called green meanies in 2011s?

Yea, just to have a little diversity of vintages. Just don’t want to mistakenly grab a turkey vintage in the style of 03 or 04.

Now just a minute. Disregarding 2004, there is no sense in which 2003 is a '‘turkey’ vintage in spite of its unusual attributes.

IMHO around half of 2003s I’ve had sport a sneakily offensive burnt caramel quality. I can drink through it usually, but such a wine wine will never merit more than 85 points from me. On the borderline of “turkey vintage” I’d say.

Tasted some of them yesterday. Whilst, overall it was a very tough day to taste with lots of wines being extremely closed, the chevillon wines were at least a little approachable. The basic NSG vv was the most open and really quite delicious. The chaignots was very dark and serious with plenty of iron and minerals. The vaucrains was quite closed but did reveal a wonderfully deep, dark, silky persona. None of them had any green or bitter flavours.

Bought some '99 LSG and Vaucrains recently, all as in just released perfect condition, and considerably cheaper than what the '11’s will be here…

Very good wines, and entering their drinking window.

Why would I bother to buy '11’s?

Did you taste Roncières or Pruliers Dan?
Bill

Dan - I actually found the Chevillons quite difficult at J&B but then again the divergence of views at these tastings is half the fun!

No, just the ones I listed.

I did too but they were a lot easier than most!