What is this Board's single most favorite region?

What is the board member’s single most favorite region? Choose one.

• 1. Burgundy - includes satalites like Chablis & Beaujolais
  • 2. Bordeaux
  • 3. Northern Rhone
  • 4. Southern Rhone
  • 5. Loire
  • 6. Alsace
  • 7. Champagne
  • 8. Other France - Jural, Bandol, etc
  • 9. Spain / Portugal ( Rioja / Rubero Duero / Tinto & Douro Etc)
  • 10. Tuscany
  • 11. Piedmont
  • 12. Other Italy - Campania, sicily, Amarone etc
  • 13. Mosel / Rhine & Austria
  • 14. Oregon PNs
  • 15. CA PNs & Chards
  • 16. CA Cabs/ Bdx Blends
  • 17. CA Rhones & Zins
  • 18. Washinton state BDX, Cabs & Syrahs
  • 19. Australia
  • 20. New Zealand

0 voters

People have joked/ complained that this board has a bias toward Burgundy and old world wines. Here’s your chance to prove or disprove that theory / gripe. What is your personal favorite region? You only get one choice, make it count. Sorry, I only get 20 choices total for a poll options so, I had to leave some stuff out and consolidate some related regions. I sort of doubt too many of you would list Chile, Argentina or South Africa as your single fav region anyway.

All things considered, it’s still California pinot. Price, availability, and direct purchasing give it the edge over Burgundy.

Just bought some 09 Fourrier Gevrey Chambertin VV for $60. That seems like a very solid value vs CA PN. I also bought 08,09, 10 MT Eden Estate PN for around $50 and Domaine Eden PN for $35 though too. The question really centers on what do you most enjoy drinking. I like several other regions a ton too like Piedmont but, Burgundy is in a league by itself, for me.

so far 25 of 52 votes go to Burgundy and Bordeaux or, almost 1/2 of the votes cast. Burgundy alone, has 35% of the early vote. Maybe we are Euro centric and Burgundy nuts in particular [cheers.gif]

This is a tough question for me. Burgundy is going to win by a mile though unless, perhaps, you aggregate California.

Bordeaux for sure (for me)

Interesting to see this poll before the movie Sideways was released…I wonder if right bank Merlot based reds will ever make a come back like they were in the 90s?

before I opened this thread I actually thought the choices in the poll would be individual appellations from Burgundy.
Or maybe climats from Chambolle, etc. [cheers.gif]
So for me it would be Chambolle, followed closely by Volnay or Gevrey

Flawed poll. Spain and Portugal lumped together…that’s not fair.

My vote is for Portugal (though I can’t vote as I would then also have to vote for Spain of which I don’t drink much wine from at the moment)

Flawed poll - Australia is a very large country, with many regions, sub-regions, and appellations.

Surprised there aren’t more votes for Piedmont and Neb.

I think if you have to ask, you haven’t been reading the subject lines for the past 5 years(!)

Burgundy… without the Beaujolais - yuck!

Never heard of those - they must not be worth it. :wink:

How many board members are there? I would think enough to keep threads going about most topics if there is a group interested in them. There are a lot of Burgundy threads because people post tasting notes on Burgundy. If people want threads on California Cabernet, wines from Portugal or the various regions of Australia, start them.

To help Andy out, +1 for Portugal

Would have assumed California, based on what I perceive to be board demographics.

If you put the Cali sections together, much as you did with Burg, Chablis & Beauj, then it’s 2nd at the moment.

LOL, not even close. I have Burgundy standing alone, all by itself, separated from BDX and the Rhones and it sitll dwarfs CA’s numbers so far.

Trent, you’re chiming in on Port. That’s dessert wine which doesn’t count in book. [snort.gif]

I once went to a store, and there was a so-so bottle of Burgundy for sale for a really high price, so that proves that Burgundy is lousy value for the dollar and I mostly just buy California pinot instead.

neener