"How to throw away $173" or "I am a dumbass"

I put a bid on an online auction for a bottle of '59 Calon Segur with an IN ullage. I checked on it tonight, and couldn’t believe I had won with my low-ball bid. Then I scrolled down to the photo (I could have sworn I did that before I bid), and I won a '59 Château Calon (Montagne-St. Émilion), not a '59 Château Calon Segur (St. Estèphe).
I guess it’s possible some lesser right banker survived 53 years…

I also looked that one over, but decided not to bid. I do however have a fake bottle of 1966 Leoville Barton that I bought a while back.

nice score warren!

Oh, you want it? I can have it shipped straight to you!

Next time I’m in Bellingham (thinking late February), we could open it. I’ll bring a check!

I think I can do better than a dead Bdx. Good excuse for an offline!

I had a '64 earlier in March last year. It was a lovely wine, still much alive. Hopefully your '59 will be good, too.

I once bought a 1985 Pio Cesare Barolo Ornato on winebid, only to discover afterwards that what I actually bought was a 1985 Pio Cesare Ornato (not Barolo). I don’t remember what I paid, maybe $80 plus tax, commissions and shipping.

It took a lot of digging to even find out any information on what the wine that I purchased is, but it appears to be an inexpensive Langhe red blend, maybe some combination of nebbiolo, dolcetto and/or barbera.

Winebid had disclosed it correctly, though I think it’s likely the seller was capitalizing on the high likelihood of confusion there in offering it for sale (the bottle even looks almost exactly the same as the Barolo Ornato).

Caveat emptor, I guess. I still haven’t opened the wine, I keep seeing it there and wondering when is the time. Maybe if I had a chance to open it alongside a '59 Chateau Calon.

That’s encouraging; thanks!

This?

Guys. I would not be surprised if these wines surprise you. I have had a 1982 Meyney in the last year or so that was quite good. Sometimes you get surprised. I would not be shocked if at least one of the two wines (the Calon or the Pio Cesare) is quite good.

Similar, but it doesn’t say “Barbera” on it. I think the varietal composition is listed in small print on the back label; I’ll take a look when I get home.

One of the reasons I made the mistake was that my Ornato doesn’t appear on CellarTracker (I don’t say that as though that is Eric’s, or anyone’s, fault).

I do hold out some hope it might be interesting or even pretty good, but that’s part of why I can never find the right time to open it – it’s much easier to decide such things when you are fairly confident a wine will be good or bad.

The reason I asked was the same… It would be great to get yours photographed and listed up on CT just to help avoid future confusion for others.

With a bright red “warning” label

Howard,
Hope you’re right. Just got the bottle, and the color and ullage look good.
Warren

I have had many delicious Bordeaux from lessor known producers. 59 is an excellent year Warren and you paid a fair price for the wine. I would be very surprised if that wine does not show well for you.

Jeremy,
Thanks for the encouraging opinion. I’ll update the thread once I open it. Hopefully I’ll want to edit the title.
Cheers,
Warren

Howard, Jeremy and Errol were all more optimistic about this wine than me, and fortunately they were right. It wasn’t just drinkable; it was spectacular! I couldn’t believe how alive and balanced the wine was, lasting hours in the glass after an 8 hour Andouze. I’ve had good wines from the '50’s, but this one had suprising staying power of fruit for such old bones. Dark red and black fruit remained, with nice earthy mushroom and leather notes. I loved it, and realize now the price was a bargain. Still had an IN fill!
We had it with prime NY strips and six varieties of mushrooms foraged earlier in the day.
IMG_3871.JPG
IMG_3869.JPG
IMG_3855.JPG

What great color for the '59!!! Glad it worked out!!

Great story. The wine looks to be in great nick. I would expect that it has been well looked after during its life.
Nice score.