Are there wines you don't get that everyone else loves ???

A play on the other thread going right now - what wines don’t you get that everyone else seems to love?

I like to consider the over-hyped wines as group think, but you may disagree… neener

I’ll start this off.

SQN

QC

hm. To answer your question literally: no. I’ve come to learn what I like and what I don’t. So the wines that I don’t like, tend to be on the opposite end of the spectrum. For example, Alpha Omega wines are not my cup of tea, but I know (and know why) lots of people like their wines and the owner.

Fran … oh - you’re just talking wines. blush

As a group, Loire reds

I think this thread makes more sense if we are talking about wines that are beloved on Wine Berzerkers, or maybe among wine geeks more broadly. Obviously, any wine that one of us dislikes has its fans and customers out there somewhere.

Was that what you intended, K.R.?

Those were the first two that came to my mind before I even scrolled down and saw your post. SQN has ranged from good to mediocre for my palate, but never ‘Wow!’ like I would expect based on the following.

QC, I’ve always enjoyed, but I’ve never had a bottle that made me wish I was on the list.

I am grateful to friends that have allowed me to taste their stash though.

Chris

Burgundy. Period.

The white ones…with VERY few exceptions.

This. Unless it’s got bubbles or sugar. I can appreciate whites at a tasting, but never buy them for drinking.

Sauternes, TBA, VTs, and Ports. I understand completley why people go bonkers for them. They’re insanely complex, rich, and some are also brightly acidic. But the very-high level of residual sugar or sweet/high abv combo leaves me wishing I was drinking something else about 98.9% of the time. With one exception every 3 years or so, I don’t really spend any money on them that I could otherwise allocate to dry whites, dry reds, and champers.

+1

Rosé
Bergstrom

and Beaujolais, although I guess not “everybody” loves it

96.58% of the worlds’s wines I don’t get.

This is kind of a straw man, maybe, given how out of favor it seems as a category, but I can’t remember the last time I had an Australian Shiraz that I dug on.

Yeah, for me this is a very long list and sort of inevitably will be seen as a poke in the eye to those who treasure these wines. Nonetheless:

1. I have had a number of red burgs that I quite liked, but the flavor profile, shifted to the red spectrum, is not my preference and so I don’t buy a lot of them. I get them, I understand the appeal, but they just don’t thrill me the way they do others.

2. I love white burgs but find them so maddeningly inconsistent and subject to premox and other flaws that I buy and drink very few. I also see less disparity between really good and cheap whites and really good and expensive ones, so I see little reason to go upscale. I have had a number of stupendous expensive whites, but the incremental benefit of spending more money makes less sense for me.

3. I dislike sweet and fortified wines. All of them, regardless of color or price or fame. D’Yquem, and other sauternes, port, ripassa wines . . . all of them. I find them cloying and monotonous and just plain unpleasant. I also find it interesting that people decry the alcohol and sweetness in CA cabs as if they are immoral and yet prostrate themselves before D’Yquem and Quintarelli. I get why others like them, I suppose, and let a thousand flowers bloom and all that, but I am not interested in the least. [bleh.gif]

4. For the same reason, I dislike (intensely) sweet, semi-sweet or even marginally sweet German or Alsatian wines. I have had a few very dry wines from the region that I kind of like, but as a whole this is a region that I largely ignore without a second thought. Don’t tell Terry.

5. I used to love S Rhones but find that they are (a) subject to flaws at a higher rate than any other region and (b) moving aggressively into to the “too sweet to drink” category. I am no longer a player but do have some older wines in the cellar that I quite like.

6. I love a very few select CA cab producers (Ridge, Monty, early Mondavi, Togni) but the great majority of the wines I try are unpleasant to me. I know there are other “traditional” cab producers that would thrill me, but as a group they are expensive and there are so many wines I know that I like that doing the necessary leg work seems unlikely.

7. I would also count the whole pinot-darker-than-cabs and jet-fuel syrah movement in CA as something that escapes me.

Champagnes. Yes, I’ve met a good one or two, but the QPR factor is so low for me that I’ve stopped looking. Champagnes rarely get poured at wine store tastings, so about the only time I even try them is when someone else brings one to our local tasting group. I can’t fathom having them more than a couple time a year, tops.

Port just does not work for me…and I try and keep trying.

I don’t get enough Burgundy.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t get Port. I’ve rarely tried so hard to like something and ultimately failed to appreciate it.

Sauternes, and even nearby Madeira are fine, heck I’ll take some late harvest Zin from Paso way ahead of the stuff,