scarecrow

received the email announcing that the 2010 Scarecrow will be offered in phases in March

Received my first offer last year but did not buy (meaning I went to the end of the list?)

Any information on this years wine? Tasting notes, QPR etc…

I think this ship has sailed. Stupid money for barely adequate wines. Of course, YMMV, but for the coin, join another list that does not discriminate and offers value for your dollar. Lots in Napa can deliver at a quarter of the tarrif.

got the email as well. Don’t think I received an offer before. Lets see if the offer pans out.

Vamsi

Just had the 2007 last weekend. SPECTACULAR and worth every penny. But it was the last year I bought because, as has been said, they kinda jumped the shark.

Last year, my 2007 Scarecrow was worth more than 2x the pennies I paid. :wink:

Well, yeah.

Good luck on that rate of return moving forward. Unless, of course you know some suckers or ballers from Mainland China.

I have been a buyer since 2005. I admit that it is my one very silly purchase every year (you burg people can shut up about my GREAT Saxum purchases). However, when I opened a bottle of the 2005 a few years ago, it was a stupendous wine. I took a flier on the Scarecrow and the Futo when they came out. The Futo I jettisoned right away - sweet syrup - but the scarecrow I really enjoy. One of these days, maybe we’ll have some fun with a blind tasting and see if it really holds up.

what is the tariff these days?

[rofl.gif]

IIRC the '09 was $250 per.

Tom

Bill, 2007 was my last purchase.

+1

Secondary market prices tell the whole story here. If one is able to buy any wine at or less than mailing list price, what’s the point? Scarecrow, like Bryant, Harlan, Araujo, etc. is readily available anytime you want to pull the trigger. There’s no need for any concern on “List Placement.”

On a side note, word was going around last year that Bill Harlan was stuck with over half of his inventory, refusing to adjust his pricing at $500 per. Perhaps he, like many of the other cults are hoping that Asia develops an interest. Bryant raised their price per 750ml by almost $100 this year. There is a wait-list time of zero. Again, back vintages can be had at much lower prices than current release. What’s their motive here? Who knows, and who cares?!

Heard the same thing concerning Harlan. Maybe Parker can use some of his newly found wealth to help a brother out.

I’ll be in for a case and two mags, just as I was with Bryant.

Jokes.

Bryant and Harlan are very wealthy guys, and at the prices they charge, selling half their production still probably nets profit. I’m not worried about them.

I don’t know what prices you guys are looking at but I just checked the Acker Auction Archives and Scarecrow is selling at way over release price. I don’t flip so it doesn’t matter to me personally, but get your facts right.

Offers for t cost on Commerce Corner speaks to me vs. auction results.

Having to buy it every single year regardless of vintage is a major negative. If a winery acts like that, I think they are only thinking of themselves and not their customers. I have no issues with jettisoning any list that makes mandates like that.

Jay,
I don’t think they are disputing 2007 and older, I think the debate is on 2008 and newer. I did not check, but would be curious what 2008 and 2009 are trading for.

Winebid has the '09 for at or near release price.