TN: 2006 Cabot Vineyards Syrah Kimberly's (USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County)

• 2006 Cabot Vineyards Syrah Kimberly’s - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (2/20/2013)
    I clearly recall the first time I had this wine some 2.5 years ago. It was pretty but so reticent. Six months later it was getting a lot more friendly but still pretty reserved.

Wow what a difference two years makes! This is simply exploding with pleasure now. The reticent young wine of the past is gone. Sultry, smoky, silky and explosive. This screams of blackberry and smoke, salt and blood, mineral and chalk. Still quite tannic on the finish but already yielding enormous pleasure and now showing much more of its potential.

Yet another utterly world class wine from Cabot. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Exactly my experience with this wine, Eric; still a bit bound up two years ago, but absolutely wonderful a couple of months ago. Thanks for posting

Sadly, opened all my 2006 Kimberly’s near release. A great drinking wine, would have enjoyed revisiting them now. Recall the one barrel was pretty exceptional as well. Is Cabot going to be at Rhone Rangers this year in SF? Curious how the current release Syrah is drinking!

I still have one bottle of the ‘Bacon Fat’ barrel '06 Kimberly’s Syrah. Methinks I should bring it to a BerserkerFest as it will be received with more value and adoration than a DRC

Opened a bottle of this last night…

This wine is just flat out rockin! the aromatics are huge with meat earth and blackberry, on the palate blackberry tart blackberry meat bacon. Some pomegranate? mineral, earth acid is balanced and tannin. So smooth and layered this wine is just fantastic right now! I NEED MORE!

Six bottles consumed.

It was a good run while it lasted.

My favorite Cabot syrah.

Admittedly a tangential thread drift, but what is going on with Cabot these days? They haven’t had any releases (at least that I’ve heard about) in a long while. On their web site, the most recent wines listed are the 2010 vintage. Are they still operational?

They just did a whole bunch of business on BerserkerDay.

The last official release seems to have been 10/2012 based on my records. Hopefully they will do another release soon.

We just had the chance to taste the most recent releases of Cabot Pinot Noir at Falltacular, and I know for a fact they are still around as John Cabot just spent 4 nights at my house so he could be at Falltacular (traveling on the cheap so his wines can still be affordable!)

Nate, sounds like if your email address was once in their list, but you no longer get emails, you might want to send info to Kimberly Cabot

Fortunately I picked up an additional case a few years back & have 5 left. One of the best buys ever. [thankyou.gif]

Just finished my last. Drop. Dead. Gorgeous.

I would like to give Alan Rath a shout out for his inexplicable and ill-advised sale of this bottle. [cheers.gif]

I opened my only bottle of the '06 a week or so ago. Absolutely loved it. Any thoughts on the '08 and '09 syrahs? Looks like they’re still available.

John is certainly still around - enjoyed hanging out with him at Falltacular this past weekend. Hew as pouring new releases - at least I think they were - and those that love his wines will certainly love these as well!

We also just finished putting the finishing touches on the '11 Les Deux Comtes blend as a follow up to the 2009 version that we did. Can’t wait to get it into bottle - and to share the '09 with many of you in the near future . . .

Cheers!

Great to hear that all is well with John. I instantly fell in love with the Syrahs, and consider myself a fan. Look forward to upcoming releases!

Hi guys. Thanks for the kind words about the 06 Kimberlys.
We will be releasing a couple of Syrah Cuvees from 2010, Two 2011 Pinot Noirs from Anderson Valley, and a 2011 Syrah and Zinfandel from Marrier Vineyard just above our winery in Orleans, Humboldt County. This Mailer is going out in a few weeks in time for spring shipping.

Yeehaw!!!

Eric, you should learn to do that as a yodel!

Yodel-ayyy-eeee-hooooo!!!

I drank through maybe 2 cases of the Kimberly’s over the last 4 years, what a treat. Some of my early bottles showed a big dallop of bacon/fat which was rather amazing. More recent bottles show more pronounced florals and earthiness. This was one of the first wines i bought in such quantity and I’m very happy with my decision.
I owe this board a big ‘thank you’ for turning me on to Cabot. John and Kimberly have been great to do biz with too. Cheers

Ha! Here’s the fan boy club based on tasting notes posted in CT.

brigcampbell 4.2% Notes (25) / Avg. 92.0 pts. in 8 ratings
Eric 4.2% Notes (25) / Avg. 91.1 pts. in 15 ratings
jdabrowski1027 3.7% Notes (22) / Avg. 91.7 pts. in 18 ratings
kenhoeve 3.5% Notes (21) / Avg. 92.6 pts. in 18 ratings
Bellissimo 3.2% Notes (19)
PSUSteve 2.5% Notes (15) / Avg. 90.3 pts. in 15 ratings
Richard Jennings 2.5% Notes (15) / Avg. 91.9 pts. in 15 ratings
Todd French 2.4% Notes (14) / Avg. 91.0 pts. in 10 ratings
WetRock 2.2% Notes (13)
blakel 2.0% Notes (12) / Avg. 91.3 pts. in 12 ratings
Beerzebub 1.9% Notes (11)
River Rat 1.7% Notes (10) / Avg. 92.0 pts. in 2 ratings