Southern Rhone 2010 QPR Thread

While we’re at it, we might as well create a QPR thread for Southern Rhones, what with CdP and Gigondas prices now at or near Burgundy levels.

I’ve ordered a case of St. Cosme 2010 Les Deux Albion, but it hasn’t arrived yet; I’ll be sure to post a note in this thread. Those of you who already have bargain Rhones in your cellar, please post up here. [cheers.gif]

2010 SRhone QPR stunners that I work with:
Oratoire St Martin Haut Coustias rouge AND blanc
Domaine de Mourchon Seguret Tradition, Seguret Grande Reserve
Roucas Toumba Restanques de Cabassole
Mont Olivet everything…

From what I have tasted so far, it seems as if you can throw a dart at a map of the Southern Rhône and buy with confidence wherever it lands - whatever the price point.

I don’t know whether that news is good or bad. Better cash in the 401K.

Charvin CDR Le Poutet 2010 … well balanced, with nice fruit and savory tones and great acidity to balance. I definitely stocked up on that one.

Has anyone here yet tried the Chateau de Saint Cosme COTES DU RHONE BLANC 2010? This looks like it may be a good buy too, at $16.90/bottle…

I hope the 2010 Lex Deux Albion revvs me up like in prior years. I have a 6-pack coming in. Have not been liking the Southern Rhone releases lately. The scale is becoming ridiculous. If the Les Deux works for me, I will load up. It’s always been a multi-case order for me.

Wilkinson Wine Cellars still has the 2007. I haven’t tried it.

I’ve tried Clos du Caillou’s red Cotes du Rhones (Bouquet des Garrigues, Les Quartz & La Reserve) and they are all excellent and a great QPR.

+1

Been enjoying a bottle of this 2010 Charvin [CdR] the last few days. 14% abv. I get some roast hazelnuts kinds of notes. It’s a nice wine and keeping well. However I do like the 2007 expression of this better.

My last bottle of the 2010 Charvin ‘le Poutet’ [CdR] and it continues to drink deliciously, despite the age. I had not thought I had any left! This bottle doesn’t have as much peanut/hazelnut flavors as the last one, and is little more red raspberry fruited, with a slight touch of strawberry rhubarb too. What a great example! I’m hard pressed to think of a rouge CdR that I like more than this one. It’s not easy to find, but CSW tends to have a good pipeline for this 1.5 ha vineyard; their write up is educational too. The 2010 gets an A- in my ledger here.

I have been enjoying many bottles of St. Cosme CDP 2010 that I bought for sub-$50. It is not inexpensive, but it is fabulous QPR. St. Cosme is a very consistent producer and continues to be a tremendous value across their offerings.