Best places for walk-in tastings in Napa?

I’m heading out to Napa Valley with my dad in June, for his 65th birthday. He’s a big cab fan and hasn’t been to Napa in 30+ years, so we’re both pretty excited. He’d like to hit a lot of the iconic spots - Seavey, Shafer, Montelena, Joseph Phelps, Larkmead, Anderson’s Conn Valley, Schramsberg - for which we will line up scheduled tastings. Figuring we’ll do two scheduled tastings per day, I’d like to get some recommendations for good spots around the valley to add walk-in tastings at the end of the afternoons. Any input is very much appreciated, as are any suggestions about specific tasting experiences at the places I mentioned.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Corison!

Heitz!

If I may make a recommendation…try to build your days around the same areas, i.e. St. Helena, Yountville, etc. We were able to hit 6 wineries per day with your same game plan of 2 scheduled visits per day. Also, the Silverado Trail is loaded with great spots and you can drive up & down it and hit quite a few.

As for your actual question, we did pop-ins at:
Flora Springs - tasting room on Rt. 29 right near Dean & DeLuca
Alpha Omega
the aforementioned Heitz
Signorello
Plumpjack
Merryvale - plus you can grab a wicked burger across the street at Gott’s Roadside

all were great and were willing to pour some cool stuff not included in the flights. Also, for something really neat, I’d recommend you check out James Cole Winery on Silverado (I think it’s next to the Darioush palace). While they require appointments, they leave their driveway gate open and are very open to you calling from the parking lot to make an impromptu appointment. Very laid-back place, with some cool unique single varietals not often seen in Napa (Malbec, etc.). Highly recommended. Have a great trip!

oh, and the private cave tasting at Conn Valley was my single favorite spot. they really do it right and the personal touch you get in the 90-minute tasting is 2nd-to-none IMO

+1!

Yeah, Heitz is a solid pick! Went there and was treated really well. Obviously a good pick for the man who likes Napa cab.

Can anyone recommend bar/tasting room type places in Napa/Sonoma to go to try wine from multiple wineries? Like the defunct Taste of the Valleys in Solvang, for instance. Places where you can try wine from several good producers, not just producers who can’t get a distribution network.

damn the name is escaping me but I think there’s a collective downtown

if you want a great environment in a bar/lounge, go visit Al @ 1313main, they have guest pourers every Wednesday night, and while they carry a superb selection of higher-end, hard-to-find stuff in the retail part of the establishment, it’s never pushed on you. word of caution, it IS a bit pricey though (the bar, not the retail)

It is your DAD for god sakes! make a couple calls :slight_smile: Try the Patz & Hall Salon in South Napa. They are in the business park on the South end of Soscol near the airport. A premier negociant of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. Also a quick call to Ma(i)sonry in Yountville will allow you to taste a lot of different small producers without fuss, and do so in a relaxed garden setting. Drive past any place you see a bunch of limos (pretty much factories).

It may be out of fashion now but we always enjoyed Beringer. Great old buildings and landscape and to my mind some nice tasting wines.
The CIA, almost right next to it, is also a nice non-wine visit.

Cheers,
Curt

Chappellet and Diamond Creek by appointment. Peju and Duckhorn as a walk in. Caymus by appointment.

Napa Valley Wine and Cigar, of course.

Hall (diagonally across from Alpha Omega)

Larkmead was the worst tasting room experience ever for us.
Tour and then a “private” tasting in an isolated area. Make it a cubicle and it would have been a timeshare presentation. They tell you that they waive the 40 buck per person fee if you buy at least two bottles per person. You taste (most) of the wines and then they don’t let you buy anything good (only the throwaways) unless you drop $1200 on the collector case.
NEVER again.
Drive up Spring Mtn and go to Behrens. Great view and you don’t have to say much because Robin will talk for everyone! Nice wines and Robin is very knowledgeable.

+1 on both observations.

I 2nd this… and it’s directly across from Heitz. Great intersection for drop ins

Vintners Collective in downtown Napa (Lamborn, Krupp Family, Melka, JC Cellars, Showket, Ancien, and many others).

+1 on the Corison suggestion. Cliff Lede is also very friendly, and Round Pond has a great second story patio that overlooks a couple of their vineyards.

Wow, I had an amazing, free experience at larkmead. Tasted everything and had the place to ourselves. Tour and tasting by a fire. Heitz for sure, great call.
I know there are haters, bur darioush I’d fun. I’d also go to sequoia grove, walk in and fun.
Lastly, white rock. Real, old school family Napa. Good wines.

The Vintner’s Collective on Main Street right outside of Downtown Napa is what you’re looking for. Right across the street from Pizzeria Azzuro. Nice selection of producers: Melka, Ancien, Showket, Buoncristiani, Vinoce, etc. Fun place.

I 25th or so the recommendation for Heitz. Still producing some solid wine and the tasting is free. Can’t beat that anywhere in the valley. The prices on their wines are still hard to beat for the value in the Valley. I have nothing but respect for those guys.

I stopped into Provenance about a year ago or so on a whim and enjoyed the wines - and if memory serves - they weren’t too ridiculously overpriced. Also up in St Helena way near Heitz.

I think the one winery that you should think about hitting is Sequoia Grove. My favorite Cab in the valley in most years. Excellent pricing, and quality juice. Solid stuff with a friendly staff.