Ehren Jordan Leaves Turley

Best wishes to Ehren and exciting times for both Failla and Turley.
http://www.winespectator.com/blogs/show/id/48084

I love the bit about how most people think Helen still makes the wine even though Ehren has been the winemaker for nearly 2 decades. Funny because it is probably true. Personally, if I’m dropping $$ on a winery regularly, I kind of like to know whats going on behind the scenes. [thumbs-up.gif]

With Tegan now as winemaker, things there are in very good hands, indeed. They won’t skip a beat.

It’s always bemused me that Turley wines are still tarred & feathered by Helen Turley’s early stint there
as alcoholic/over-oaked fruit bombs. Ehren pretty much makes that same point in his comment about how
many think Helen still makes the wine. I thought Ehren did an amazing job in changing the style of those
wines by toning down the oak and making them much more expressive of their vnyd origins (I guess that’s the “terroir”
term that some folks use). True…they still often weigh in at 15%+, but they carry that alcohol level much better
than they did under Helen’s winemaking.
Tom

Good for Ehren, good for Tegan and good for Turley! I’m as fascinated by this producer as I’ve ever been.

Tom, I think they carry the 15%+ better now than they did 6 or 7 years ago as well.

Tom

I agree as well. Although the wines still have their signature ripeness, I perceive a greatly reduced amount of oak, which makes the wines taste much more brambly, tart and fresh, rather than heavy and creamy.

Often, high ripeness/alcohol goes hand in hand with heavy oak treatment, but I’m finding more and more that it was the oak I objected to much more than the ripeness, and some producers making good quality wines with big, ripe fruit but moderate use of oak (Denner is another that comes to mind) are hitting a nice sweet spot for me. Not that I don’t appreciate leaner and less ripe styles as well, but when I want something on the bigger side of the spectrum, this is a good direction for me.

Go Tegan!

Agree on all counts. Congrats Tegan!

+1 to the general sentiments. I love the wines, and look forward to continuing supporting the winery. Although they make high-alcohol wines, they are generally extremely will-balanced, which makes them ehjoyable. And they don’t all taste the same!

The last several vintages have been eye opening as their style has really become very elegant and refined. I’ve grown so far away from most California wines, but they’ve been able to keep my attention.

You better watch your back!

[wink.gif]

But at least here at WB, once you are labeled as a “rocket fuel / pancake syrup / vodka kool aid” producer, you can never come back.

People would be pretty startled to try a Kosta Browne from the last few vintages, not because it’s become Copain by any means, but it is much different than what it was in the middle of the last decade when it made its big splash on the scene. Much less oak (at least is apparent, I have no idea what their winery practices are), higher acids, fruit that is much fresher and crisper than in the past. And Michael Browne is the first to tell you that they pushed it too far for awhile there and are trying to find a better medium.

Glad to hear KB dialed it back too.
I think you can come back. You have to let folks know though. I’ve tasted some syrupy stuff lately and wonder, “who’s drinking this?” I think less and less will in the near future.