Are you swirling your wine in the correct direction?

I’d never run across this before, but at least according to this blog post that a friend alerted me to, there is a right and wrong direction to swirl your wine:
http://www.jamessuckling.com/biodynamics-is-freaking-me-out.html

Can’t say that I’ve ever paid attention to which direction I swirl wine. Unfortunately, there was no information in the blog post on whether the wine tastes better if you dispense with the swirling and just chug it. [cheers.gif]

Counterclockwise for me…

me too

Only if you are right on the equator. Otherwise, the Coriolis effect dictates proper direction:

N. Hemisphere - Counter-clockwise

S. Hemisphere - Clockwise

Note that the swirling is opposite the direction of the Coriolis effect in order to maximize the aeration.

:wink:

I assume people swirl counterclockwise when holding the glass in their right hand, and clockwise when holding the glass in their left hand. That motion is just more natural. It’s like the difference between hitting a forehand and a (one-handed) backhand in tennis.

and Chris, I’m a left handed counterclockwise swirler but I’ve been called weird by many…

I had a client tell me that they rotate the bottles in their cellar 1/4 turn (and specified clockwise) every 3 months. The clockwise was the most important part of their description… People!

Previous long thread on this–perhaps here, or maybe on the Tanzer board. A couple of physics guys actually did some fluid dynamics experiments that were pretty interresting. I actually think there is a difference in how wines show depending upon which direction you go, but I think it mostly has to do with handedness and coordination, and how much turbulence you create…

Only those ITB (or the dry cleaning biz) would tell you to swirl a wine counterclockwise. You are far more likely to spill the wine that way… [snort.gif]

Spare me!

I never knew the Riddler was a client of yours! [cheers.gif]

Im calling bullchit on this one guys.

I know people who create a lot of turbulence but it has nothing to do with how they swirl their wine. [wink.gif]

A pitiful example of the poor quality of science education in the world.

Left-handed clockwise for me. But if I ever get to New Zealand I may have to change. I may also wanna change if I ever get over to Napa.

lmao

I remember reading about the turbulence also, but I have also read than as a practical matter, swirling does no good at all. Still I can’t break myself of the habit.

P Hickner

^ this ^

[thumbs-up.gif]

And what therapy did you recommend? :slight_smile:

Why does this make me think of the movie Midnight Express?

I am right handed and first swirl counterclockwise and then swirl clockwise to see which direction I prefer. Usually CCW is best but not always.