The BEST sub $30 CA Pinot available!

Sorry Kendric Marin County, move over Rivers Marie Sonoma Coast, not this time Arcadian Sleepy Hollow…

The above have been some of my favorites but there is a new leader of the pack in town. This is not just a great wine or nice Pinot for under $30. This is a serious wine and a ridiculous value. After trying it I went out and immediately bought a case, this is my first from this case and confirmation of its superiority. I really like my Mount Eden Estate pinots with 10+ years of age on them, drink these while the estate wines age.

• 2010 Domaine Eden Pinot Noir - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (3/1/2013)
    The nose was decently tight and a bit unyielding at first and definitely took some air time to get going. A really pretty fruit profile with cranberry, black cherry, gentle baking spice and oak toast. A bit floral as well with some dried herb elements and some meatiness. Really complex and layered on the nose. In the mouth is a wine with structure, character and length. A touch darker in the mouth, more of the spice and toast all rolled together with nice structure and integrated acidity. Tart cranberries, hint of strawberry and roasted game. A wine that builds front to back with some tannins making their presence known on the finish. Layered, complex and balanced, a wine that drinks well with a few hours of air and will continue to drink well for a good while. Very much so in the same profile and wheelhouse as Mount Eden Estate wines, I’m excited to see what they can do in the future with this recently acquired property.

Kool, but K&L is getting 34 for it. So where is it sub thirty?
Before we kick our champs aside, much as I love a newer champ and appreciate your spirit. :slight_smile:
RM SC is about 25 bucks, I think.
Copain Tous is maybe 28?

I paid $29 locally, a few places have it for under $30 and Wally’s has it for $27.99

Larry Kroger or the car?

wally’s appears to have it for 35.
http://www.wallywine.com/p-92075-2010-domaine-eden-pinot-noir-santa-cruz-mountains-750ml.aspx

I digress. This doesn’t need to detract from, “it’s delicious,” but your headline made me think it was 25 bucks or so.

C’mon man! I was trying to keep these a secret.

Paid 29.99 last year through the club.

I much prefer Arcadian or Kendric…

TTT

Funny I just picked up four bottles today at $27.99 after trying it last week and loving it at this price.

Next time I mention under $30 I’ll make sure it really means $25!

newhere

I don’t care who you are, that’s funny right there.
but isn’t it Lonnie? [cheers.gif]
I’ve already used that movie as a reference this morning on the CT forum

Thanks all for the good “finds”

The 2007 Inman Family Pinot Noir Thorn Ridge Ranch is under $30 from WTSO and it’s drinking very well now.

Kendric, not so much for me.

2010 Radio-Coteau County Line Pinot Noir, Sonoma Coast. Pretty darn good I think. (Note: It’s on the shelf where I work, but I am not a commissioned sales person)

I really liked the 2008 Kendric Marin also. flirtysmile

No love here for the RM Pinots. Too ripe.

Assuming you like fruit-forward Pinots…

La Crema and Laetitia. Way ahead of the rest, great QPRs.

For fruit forward, Sean Minor Carneros Pinot. $18.99

Right there with you on this one Tico. This is a “back up the truck” wine.

Just to be nerdy and clarify - the property was bought from Cinnabar. So now, one of their wineries is dedicated to exclusively making red wine and the other white. Easier that way. Anyway, this wine not only includes grapes from this former Cinnabar vineyard, but other non-estate grapes they’ve long managed, as well as declassified estate. Their improvements at the Cinnabar site and advancing age of the non-estate grapes are quite notable in this wine.

I have noticed the price inching up as this wine received critical praise. It was commonly $28 last year.

I think wine in this price range and in particular Pinot Noir get a reputation of “Wednesday night” wines or “crowd pleasers”. While this wine can certainly be drunk any day of the week and I’m sure a crowd would like it, this wine is serious and can really age.