Old Vines and Pizza

Last night we met up at Rosso’s in Santa Rosa and took the place over.
19 people and so much wine, 25 750’s and 8 Mags, that some went unopened. I took pictures but in the low light they aren’t the best. I know others were snapping pics with their phones so maybe they can add some to this thread.

1998 Carlisle Two Acres 1.5L
2002 Carlisle Two Acres
2004 Carlisle Two Acres 1.5L
2007 Bedrock The Bedrock Heirloom
2008 Bedrock Lorenzo’s Heirloom
2012 Bedrock Ode to Lulu Rose 1.5l
2008 Bucklin Old Hill Ranch Zin
2011 Bucklin Old Hill Ranch Rose
2007 Ravenswwod Teldeschi Zin
1993 Joseph Swan Frati Ranch Zinfandel
1991 Seghesio Old Vine Reserve Zinfandel
2002 Robert Biale Monte Rosso Zinfandel
2009 T-Vine Napa Valley Zinfandel
2011 Robert Biale “RW Moore” Napa Valley Zinfandel
1993 Ravenswood Wood Road-Belloni Zinfandel 1.5L
1997 Ravenswood Teldeschi Zinfandel
1997 Cline Bridgehead Zinfandel
2001 Rosenblum Monte Rosso Zinfandel
1999 Ridge Geyserville 1.5L
1993 Ravenswood Monte Rosso
1994 Ridge Bridgehead Mataro
2006 Williams-Selyem Feeney Zinfandel
1984 Deer Park Winery Zinfandel 1.5L
1974 Louis Martini Zinfandel
Thackery Plieades XXI and Linda brought another that wasn’t opened and it was too dark for me to read the label. Maybe Carrie or Randy can tell us what it was?
2006 Carlisle Pietros Zinfandel 1.5L
1989 Ravenswood Old Hill Ranch
Unknown Vintage of Radio Coteau Von Weidlich Zinfandel
A token white 2008 Inman Chardonnay
And a stickie as Morgan brought a 750 of the unbottled 2011 Lachryma Montis.
Mike O also brought a magnum of 1999 Two Acres but said it was infected with Brett upon opening so it was shelved.

Hard to have a WOTN with all the winners on hand. Stand outs were the Monte Rosso’s, Two Acres and Swan. The Lachryma was decadent. We had 3 corked bottles and a couple DOAs. I took no notes but I’m sure others will chime in.

In all it was an epic night for me. Lots of great wines I may never have had the chance to taste otherwise and an awesome assembly of Berserkers! [drinkers.gif] grouphug [worship.gif]
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Wow…Brian…that’s a pretty incredible collection of wines.
Any recollect of how the Martini '74 had held up? DeerPark…there’s a wnry I haven’t heard about in many a year.
And what the heck was Morgan doing there?? He was supposed to be waiting at his computer in the office
for my order to come bombing in!!! [snort.gif]
Tom

image.jpg
Morgan and Leenda
image.jpg
Mike Stoneking was the Cruise Director, here he is flirting with the waitress. [berserker.gif]
image.jpg
Carl Jensen, Dana Stoneking and Chris Cottrell

The Martini was DOA. Morgan is now an official cellar rat and Chris Cottrell is handling all the customer service stuff. Frees him up for fun events.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Mike O explaining how much he detests brett. [snort.gif]

Any thoughts on the wines consumed?

[worship.gif]

I recently picked up a 93 Ravenswood Wood Road and would appreciate a comment.

We have liked this bottle twice in the past 2 years. Looks like a fun event, needless to say I pitched a no-hitter with call yesterday.

This was an amazing night with great people, great food, and an unbelievable lineup of wines. I didn’t take notes and have trouble calling WOTN. Standouts for me were the 1999 Two Acres, 1993 Ravenswood Monte Rosso. 1993 Swan, 2007 Bedrock Heirloom, and 1993 Ridge Bridgehead Mataro. There was a lot more than that which was all fantastic, but after a while it took a lot of concentration to even remember what was in the row of glasses in front of me.

The Ravenswood Wood Road was really good from mag but at the time I tasted it, probably needed more air to really open up.

The 1974 Louis Martini Monte Rosso smelled a combination of high school locker room and high school swimming pool.

Definitely we need to do this again (regularly). Rosso’s was fantastic food but the layout wasn’t ideal with two large U-shaped booths which made socializing difficult.

Other than that, it was great to see some old friends and meet new ones.

I didn’t take an pics but Lori did with her phone, which I’m having a difficult time downloading.

Wow, awesome event. Old Vine Zin is extremely undervalued in the wine world - often simply fantastic, and so food friendly if made well.

As others have said, this was truly memorable nigh. Great conversation, and the wine lineup speaks for itself thanks to the collective generosity of the attendees. The two stand outs for me were the 02 Carlisle Two Acres and 93 Ravenswood Monte Rosso. I was too busy eating the incredible pizza and appetizers and asking Mike Officer as many questions as I could think of to really get introspective about the wines.
I also learned how to say Carignane properly. Damn French words…

Brian the Radio Coteau was an 06 I believe

How 'bout some pictures of the pizza? pileon

Brian,
I believe the 2nd bottle Leenda brought was the Shelter Zinfandel Napa Valley.

Awesome, killer line-up and Rosso is fantastic.

Fun stuff. Too bad about the Martini. Maybe a storage issue?

Interesting about the 02 Two Acres. I had the other night and it was very disappointing considering I generally love every vintage. Larry P. has the 1999 Two Acres as a stand out. Is it the 99? Did you get a pre tasted before it was shelved? I had the 99 in December and was dying within 30 mins of being opened.

Jason

Jason

I felt the exact same way about the 99 as you did. After some air time and swirling it was on its way out.

Brian, thanks for making great efforts to record the night’s wines (much more alert than me) but something’s missing here:

Vamsi brought a 750 of 1999 Two Acres which was fantastic. I know I also tasted 1998 & 2002 Two Acres, which leads me to believe the Bretty bottle was probably the 2004.

This seems to have flashed across our collective consciousness at the same time - see my post above.

FWIW Mike called out 2002 as his favorite vintage of Two Acres. Now that I think of it, he said so with disappointment over the bottle on hand so maybe that’s the one which was bad?

The 1999 Two Acres was delicate and very complex. Maybe didn’t long enough to go downhill?