Article on new Zinfandels on SFGate website today

Nice story on the SFGate website today about Zinfandel, with mentions and wine reviews of Lagier Meredith, Broc Cellars, Precedent Wine, Dashe Cellars, and others - congrats to everyone!

History underscores Zinfandel’s new tack

You beat me, Ken. But only because I’m 700 miles away and it took my signal 0.3 shakes longer to get there!!!
Tom

Wow, Ken beat Tom … and Tom is usually there “from the very beginning.” [wink.gif]

Great article. For you “Turley has evolved” doubters, here is Bonne on Turley:

If Turley once was California’s Zinfandel kingpin, with maximum-overdrive wines, it has evolved to champion of more beautiful and transparent expressions. The wines are still big, but they exude a site-specific clarity.

I was enthralled by Zin in the 1980s and remain even more so today. What do you call it when you begin your wine journey with Zin and remain on the same road decades later? I think it’s either “behavorial retardation” or “this variety is Noble”!

The direction is exciting.

It always surprises me when growers and producers continue to search for the nobility of Zin, as if the grape and wines need validation. I have always found all the validation I needed in the taste.

[welldone.gif]

Zin was important hundreds of years before Cabernet Sauvignon was even born.

Eh . . . what do YOU know? Are you some sort of authority on the subject? [berserker.gif] [rofl.gif]

I read it online so it must be true neener

Good point Bob. Sure, Carole is an expert on Tribidrag, but we’re talking Zin here!

Can’t wait to try this wine:

2011 Lagier Meredith Tribidrag Mount Veeder Red ($45, 15.1% alcohol): Due in April, here’s a worthy touchstone for Tribidrag’s return. Has the floral intensity of young Zin, with candied violet and crushed stone, and beautiful red fruit and wild blueberry. A graceful expression of Mount Veeder, mixing volcanic-soil intensity with a quiet, shaded side.

[welldone.gif]

It is the most unusual expression of Zinfandel I have ever had. Being the first crop, and I only tasted a barrel sample, it was just a quick snapshot, but I’m really looking forward to the wines that come off this vineyard in coming years.

Be sure you post notes here - I’m very curious!

Great article. Thanks for posting. I hear TWA is looking for a writer? :slight_smile: