2008 Thierry Allemand Cornas "Chaillot"

TN: 2008 Thierry Allemand Cornas"Chaillot"

If you want plenty of bacon in your Northern Rhone bouquet, then this is your wine. Throw in some farmland earth as well. My kind of Cornas nose.

The wine was poured into a decanter immediately from a bottle that was brought up from the restaurant’s very cold cellar, and so I excused my first muted taste from a first pour. Wine’s youth was very evident, but transformed with air time into a more expressive bouquet and became a more accessible Cornas. There’s that lean fruit, mostly strawberries and other red berries to my taste, that tried but did not express itself more into the forefront of the wine’s structure. This is not bad, but a Reynard from the same year, as I recall, seem to show the better balance, more heft and more crunchy fruit. Not bad, but at current pricing, I wish it was more cheaper than what Winesearcher currently shows relaive to the Reynard. B

Thanks Ramon. I’ve been wondering about 2008 Northern Rhones. Perhaps with time this will show better.

I usually find Chaillot to show better, while Reynard requires more patience. Sounds like the reverse was true for you. I’ve had both Reynard and Chaillot 08 a few times but it’s been awhile! I’ll continue to let 'em sleep…

There was a thread on this a couple of months ago, where I described the two wines (Chaillot and Reynard) from 2008 very much as you do here. I got my head handed to me by a bunch of folks :wink:

For me, it’s a prerequisite. Always kind of disappointed when it’s not present.

Zach,
Just as with most Allemand I’ve had, cellar time rewards. I recentlyy had a '93 Chaillot that drank very well.

Both Reynard andChaillot wines were decanted. I drank Reynard at about the same time last year, in a tasting here in NYC, and the Chaillot last week in a Paris restaurant which was attractively-priced at Euro60. As I recall , it took a much longer time for the Reynard to show something straight from the bottle; but the Chaillot that our wait staff quickly decanted took about 30 minutes to start showing some component.

I’ve both as well, and will let 'em sleep, too.