TN: 2010 Bernard Baudry Le Clos Guillot, Chinon - 2016 Check-in, ah, wood done well!

Lots of wonderful debate in some on-going Baudry threads about the 2010 Baudry vintage, and whether the Grezeaux or Guillot is more open for business. Nice debate to have over open bottles, eh?

I’ve tried both over the last 3 nights. I have to acknowledge the edge goes to Grezeaux IMHO, not just to its openness but also to its savory elements. Has more barnyard as well, which is a hallmark for me in Chinons (especially Joguet, which I love)

This is not to say that the Guillot is the red-headed stepchild. This is a damn fine wine. Took some time to open up, and glowing on day two. Elegant pure red fruits, green peppers, cigarette ash and a hint of animale on the nose. Medium bodied, silky with a little graininess on the finish. Crisp, sweetish finish. I love the purity of the fruit on this wine, whereas the Grezeaux shows so much more earth and mineral components.

Any lover of Cab Franc, or Bordeaux for that matter, should have all of the 2010 Baudry cuvees in their cellar. Even the base domaine in this year is smokin. While I think the consensus of what I’ve read seems to favor 2009, personally I think Baudry produced better wines in 2010, if you prefer more earth than fruit, more acidity, less ripeness. Hmm, sounds like the 2009 v 2010 debate in Bordeaux and Beaujolais as well.

So wood has been giving my palate some splinters lately.

This wine has wood done well, matured for 15 months in 3-7 year old burgundy barrels. Nothing, absolutely nothing is out of balance on this young wine. The wood imparts no real signature on this wine, and instead, is just a soft subtle framing note.

The wine is archetype Chinon but perhaps a touch more elegant than most. More on the red spectrum of fruits with some darks in the background. More sheer in materials than the 2010 Les Greazeau and Croix Boissee, medium weight on the palate. Really pretty nose of flowers, wild red fruits, green pepper and ash. Lovely tart and sour red fruits, tangy, savoury herbs, great acid, moderate tannins. Still needs a little time to resolve, but love how all the pieces are coming together.

An excellent wine. Glad I stocked up on the 2009/2010 Baudry cuvées. I bought 2011-13 as well, but they are not at the same level. The 2014 vintage is the next big winner.

Any word on 2015?

Thanks for the notes. Must be nice to recalibrate your palate after you were forced to drink that 75-point Poujeaux.

When is Rolland moving to Chinon.

Gerard Perse just bought Olga Raffault
Beaver Fever

2010 domaine bottling will challenge their best cuvees from less herald vintages

The 2014 Les Granges is awesome, too.

Prolly when I move back to Cuba . . . .

And stick to rum.

Any recent reports on 2010 Croix Boisse?

Well, I now know (if I have any memory) what my April 1 post next year will be about. “Rolland to consult for Baudry, Clos Rougard and Breton.”

I wouldn’t drink the 2010 Croix Boissee right now. If you want to drink a young one, try the 2012. I find it is drinking pretty well for such a young Croix Boissee. A bottle was quickly emptied by some friends a few weeks ago before we were even paying much attention.

The Clos Guillot tends to be more pleasurable at a younger age than either Croix Boissee or (especially) Grezeaux. If you want to drink a 2010 then I would go with that one.

Doesn’t moving “back” require you to have lived there before?

#CountryLawyerFromTheSuburbs #FakeCuban

Big +1 on Michael’s comment. Lay off the 2010 Croix Boissee, as the 2011 and 2012 renditions are much more accessible. I actually thought a recent 2012 could have used more cellar time, as it performed much better after extended aeration than on opening.

The 2012 Clos Guillot is also superb, and may actually better than the Croix Boissee of the same vintage, as it has much more going on aromatically, even if it lacks some of the Croix Boissee’s heft.

This ^

Lay off the 2010 Croix Boissee and the Les Grezeaux. The 2011s are zingers, love the racy acids of that vintage, can drink now but will reward some cellaring. Have not tried the 2012 Croix Boissee but yea the Clos Guillot is excellent.

Day two, this wine is gorgeous. More savory and round, with a bit more depth. This is a major winner.

What’s Chris drinking while you’re chugging you’re beloved Chinon?

Funny you mention that. She had a vodka cocktail in a tall-boy. I like my odds tonight. Pardon me, I’ll be back in 6-7 minutes.

I’m assuming that’s because at your age, it takes you five minutes to get your pants off.

More great things coming from this domaine in 2014 and 2015 too. I tasted just about everything produced with Matthieu Baudry a few weeks ago. Both are super vintages. My personal preference was for 2015, which has the makings of a truly great vintage for the Loire, especially the reds, but I think he prefers the style of the 2014s. If you’re a fan of the domaine, or Chinon, or Cab’ Franc in general, you will be wanting some of these in the cellar.

Thank you sir, you just prompted me to grab some of the 2015 Les Granges that is just hitting the States!