Robbery at Selosse's

Article in French, obviously.

But basically last thursday 3900 bottles, 16 000 labels and 12 000 bottle caps were stolen at Selosse’s.

The fear of counterfeiting is obvious at this point…

Terrible. Glad they didn’t get any Champagne. I am staying with him in Avize in May at his hotel/cave. That place is like a fortress. Surprised that someone could get away with this.

Holy crap.

Actually I mistranslated.

3 900 bottles with champagne (400 000 euros worth) in them AND 16 000 labels + 12 bottle caps.

Don,

He still uses his old winery/caves down the road from the hotel and from reading the article, it sounds like that is what was broken in to.

find them, kill them.

Thanks Brad.
This is really shocking.

Could be an inside job just like the Soldera.

Astonishing. This and Soldera are crimes against great art, and therefore not unlike a crime against humanity.

Did anyone ever break into Picasso’s studio and trash paintings, or the construction site of a Frank Lloyd Wright building and knock all the walls down?

Is Rudy in jail or is he country hopping in between court appearances?

time to change the labels…this is really awful.

Robbery?

Whilst terrible it was theft not robbery wasn’t it?

I guess… going all legal on us [snort.gif]

Well there’s quite a difference…

It was theft -apparently- as it happened during the night, from what the article says.

It’s astonishing. The “old” caves are in the very centre of the village, on a small and narrow side street. The people who stole the wines must have been very well informed.

How do you steal 325 cases of wine?

We take in tons of wines, so I can speculate how long it took to get all these packed on a truck. That’s roughly 6 pallets of wine. If it were palletized already, and you had one of those handy pallet lifts, I’m sure it would cut some time, but seems to me like this was not a 5 minute snatch and go.

I’m probably thinking too much about this, but seems like a strange occurrance.

Crime against humanity… I’d say it is quite unlike that, the wines were stolen not destroyed and they were property not people… maybe if the wines have souls and are enslaved…

If the wine’s palletized and you have a pallet jack, and the truck has a lift, you’re looking at about 1-2 hours’ worth of work. I doubt they could have gotten that many bottles unless it was all ready to go anyway. In fact, it sounds like an insider job, someone knew a shipment was going out and beat the real truck to the punch.

Top Champagne,

But currently not through eBay purchases champagne.gif

The wines were palletized indeed. 8 and 1 half pallets. The bottles were meant to be exported to the US and Japan.
Will be harder to sell them on the French market (there’s eBay of course) because they miss the “congé” (as they were to be exported) but indeed, I’d be very wary of any “cheap” Selosse found on eBay.
Anselme Selosse said he was determined to prevent the bottles from being sold and wants to find out precisely who committed this -terrible- crime. I will be checking around for Selosse wines “sales” and definitely report any dodgy sale to the domaine.

Cheers

• Michael