Anyone going to the WS Grand Tasting in SF?

This happened to hit during my wine trip to the North Coast when I was going to be in SF anyway, so I decided to splurge on a ticket.

I’m concentrating more on the imports… The ones I’m honing in on definitely looks like a formidable list to try and get through in three hours. Hopefully it’s not too much of a madhouse. Anyone out there going? Or ever been to one of the WS events?

99% of the wineries on the list are widely available at retail and probably 75% have nearby tasting rooms of their own or have been included in local tastings in the past year. This is for non wine geeks only. (But of course that can be said about Wine Spectator as a whole.)

Thanks for weighing in but your response isn’t much help. I’m aware that many of the wines are available at retail etc. That being said I don’t get to drink or sample many of the higher dollar wines all the time so thought it would be a good chance to sample some of the Bordeaux, Piedmont, Champagne etc. Maybe after it’s over I can reapply for my wine geek card…

Matt didn’t you read his post? Apparently about 75% of those Bordeaux, Piedmont, and Champagne producers have nearby tasting rooms! Save your money!
Also, why aren’t you more of a geek?

Haha. Thanks Nate! The next time there’s a big local Bordeaux tasting in Buellton I’m there! And need to do some self examination on my coming up short of geekdom…

Aren’t these usually the events that have a few first growths at them? I didn’t see any on the list this year.

Yeah, 'cause what wine geek would want to try Aldo Conterno, Krug, Cos and Williams-Selyem in the same room. And how is that Disznókő tasting room? Crowded on weekends?

I’ve been to these when they’ve been in DC and Atlantic City. They can be very enjoyable if you have a game plan. Get the list and floor plan in advance and prioritize. There will be a lot of wine and you can’t possibly try it all. Use the opportunity to explore something new to you, not just try the bigger names. The people pouring are usually from the winery or distributor and most are fairly knowledgeable and interested in talking.

Note that this is not the same as the Wine Experience in October. At that, you have the biggest names from around the world frequently pouring their top wines. This is a different mix (i.e. no first growths, Valdicava but not Biondi-Santi, Alion but not Vega Sicilia). They’ll likely be pouring the current releases of good wines but not necessarily their best (i.e. Kosta Browne will no doubt have an appellation instead of an SVD, Casanova di Neri will probably have the Tenuta Nuova but not the Cerretalto).

There are a substantial number that are readily available for tasting in other settings, so I wouldn’t waste time with them unless they’re things you really like. Personally I always have the most fun in the Italian aisles, but there’s plenty of variety for whatever you like. Have a great time.

The value of going to such an event is the gathering of several producers in one spot, thus avoiding the hassle of zigzagging accross Napa, Sonoma,RRV etc to individual tasting rooms, wine shops, etc in your automobile. I don’t think you need to hand in your “wine geek” card, Bud.

Mixing wines as different as those five in the same tasting is moronic, it tells you nothing about how Krug compares to other Champagnes, Aldo compares to other Nebbiolos, etc. (And both Aldo and Krug have been poured numerous times at themed tastings locally in the past year.) It’s just a Spectator points orgy. If that’s your thing, fine, but don’t post on a wine message board and expect everyone to tell you how awesome you are.

Jeff thanks for the advice. That’s been my plan, and hopefully it makes it worthwhile.
I’m also wondering if the room and tables are fairly maneuverable?

Nick I never said that this was the best possible tasting or tasting format, only that I was going to be in SF the night of and had decided to go. Not sure who here is posting on this message board to have their awesomeness validated, that’s not my judgment to make. I was asking for some friendly feedback. Yours is duly noted, thanks.

Ouch! Wake up on the wrong side of the bed? [scratch.gif]

If you are ever asked why so many people are turned off by wine due to pretense and snobbery you can direct them to this post. Seriously, the guy just wants to taste some wine. What’s the big deal, Nick?

+1
I love going to unstructured tastings where I can meet people and have some great juice to drink while doing so. The price is a bit steep for me but if you can it afford then fun.

FYI, there are a number of champagnes and barolo’s besides the two wines listed in the above post so it should be fun.

That’s why I offered some guidance from having been there. I’m glad I could be of assistance. Having been at this hobby for 35+ years, I’m comfortable enough in my wine manhood that I don’t need anyone’s approval for how I approach it.

Although I thought it was pretty obvious, understand that the wines are grouped together so you can compare like wines very easily. At least in DC and Atlantic City, everything has been spaced very well such that it has never felt crowded. The only places I’ve ever seen any kind of lines, and they were relatively short for big events like this, were at some of the bigger name Bordeaux and Champagnes. Food tables can sometimes get crowded, so I usually eat something light before I go. Spit/spill buckets sometimes fill up, but are generally removed and replaced several times during the evening.

Thanks again Jeff. And you are correct, this event is like the others with regions and like wines grouped together.

Nick’s middle name is “Klapp.”

709 posts and that’s you at your cleverest Nate? Yawn. No wonder I can’t remember a single thing you’ve ever written on this board.

Are you kidding? I lay out some of my best material here! Damn, have to get better writers.

Nick,

Quit digging, the hole you’re in is deep enough already.

But in case you’re in a particularly dense state today, why in the world did you take such an aggressive and offensive tack to what was a very straightforward posting and request for advice?

So, if someone invites you to dinner, telling you that the wines will be Krug, Conterno, Cos d’Estournel, etc., you’d say the hell with that, it would be moronic to mix all those different wines at one event? And why drink a glass of Krug if you can’t compare it right then and there to other Champagnes? Is that a fair characterization of your attitude?

It’s just a Spectator points orgy. If that’s your thing, fine, but don’t post on a wine message board and expect everyone to tell you how awesome you are.

Please don’t post on a wine message board when there’s whatever it is awful going on in your life that could give rise to such an inappropriate, ill-tempered comment. Thanks in advance.

Nick, you’d hate Grailey’s in Dallas. It’s a great communal affair where groups exchange tastes of whatever they pop. I know I hate the nights where I taste a 55 Pichon Baron, followed by an 85 Bollinger RD, followed by a 1988 La Mouline, followed by a 2002 DRC Richebourg, followed by a 2001 Y’Quem. Makes me want to scream. How will I ever get educated if I have to try those wines without the context of their peers? It’s not like I’ll be able to remember their characteristics, or what their peers taste like the next day or some other time. Lord knows the thousands of wines I’ve had without adjacent comparisons have simply gone to waste. Woe is me and my piss-poor palate.