Best Virginia Wineries

Hello everyone, a friend is going to be in the southern half of Virginia in a few weeks, and wants to stop at some wineries. I read the Wines 101 thread about your favorite local wines, and Barboursville sounds decent. What else can you recommend?

Nothing in the northern part for this request please, he won’t get that far up.

TIA [cheers.gif]

Barboursville is great. King Family and Keswick are also pretty good and a short drive from
Barboursville.

I had a Petit Verdot and Vigonier from Cooper last weekend - solid wines.

To the southwest, I recommend Valhalla if your friend will be in the Roanoke area.

I had a pretty good cab franc from Veritas once. I believe they have a really pretty location, too.
http://www.veritaswines.com/index.htm

Definetly Barboursville and if possible Thibaut-Janisson http://www.tjwinery.com/ but I am not sure they do visits. Killer sparkling wine.

IMHO the benchmark producer in Virginia is Linden Vineyards … Although they may be a little far of a drive if your friend is staying in southern Virginia, I think it would be worth it if the day is centered on wine. Definitely tell him to do the cellar tasting if they visit.

Here is a guide by WBer Dave H. (I haven’t tried any of these.)

Another recommendation for Barboursville, athough your friend should know that they make a ton of different wines, not all are good. King Family is also solid. Near King Family is Pollack, which made a very nice Pinot Gris I believe. Also enjoyed Veritas, although with Pollack and Veritas, I remember the whites being solid and the reds unimpressive.

My wife was there and all she said was doukenie wines

Horton and Chrysalis are my favorites. Been a fan of the norton and viognier

Another vote for Linden, although Barboursville is no slouch. Shilling though it might be, GrapeRadio did both an audio and video show with Jim Law from Linden. And for good measure, we also covered Barboursville in a video show with Luca Paschina. Be kind, they’re earlier efforts.

Not sure what “Southern Virginia” means. It is more than 500 miles from the south-eastern corner to the southwestern corner. From Abingdon or Bristol to Barboursville is easily 4 hours.

I don’t know either, but we looked at Linden on a map and he said he won’t be near it. But this is good advice, I will check on “southeast” versus “southwest” thanks.

Stepped away for a bit, and lots of great suggestions roll in. Thanks!

Linden is in Northern Virginia, so not applicable (and it’s not even the best winery in Northern Virginia).

I think it’s reasonable to assume that by “Southern,” the OP means Monticello AVA (Charlottesville), even though it’s technically right smack in the middle of the Commonwealth. Therefore, Barboursville, Veritas, King Family, Pollak, etc. are all good choices.

Claude Thibaut makes Thibaut-Janisson sparkling wine in the cellars of Veritas, so you would just have to arrange for a tasting with him while you visit there (set it up with Claude directly via email). Another recommendation is to seek out Michael Shaps at Virginia Wineworks. He’s one of the best red winemakers in the area, making his own wine and consulting on countless others.

Who is best in your opinion - RdV?

What’s the level of sophistication?

The best winery in VA requires an EXTREME level of sophistication.

Also, there are some fun wineries just down below the border, in NC.

Gabriele Rausse makes super wine - but I do not know if he has regular hours.

None at all, according to his website. Hmmm…we’ll be in VA in May for a wedding (at Pollak vineyards, actually).

A great setting for a wedding, and one of the better wineries in terms of quality across reds and whites. Mountains, ponds, vines, and a steady breeze off the mountains even on the hottest days. Hopefully it’s not on UVa graduation weekend…
If you’re in Charlottesville while you’re down, please reach out if you have any wine or dining needs.

Thanks for the hat tip, Peter!
You guys are hitting on a lot of the good ones, imo. Barboursville is a benchmark, certainly, although its size (big, comparatively) make it a less charming visit than some others nearby. Pretty area, though.
King Family, Pollack, Virginia Wine Works, White Hall, Lovingston, Stinson and Jefferson are all solid producers in the Charlottesville/Albemarle area. Trump also makes good sparklers, as much as it kills me to say that.
I’m not ITB or anything, just a local wine nerd who’s been here awhile. Feel free to PM if anyone wants to chat VA wine.

Yup.