Rose in a Box !!!!

I regularly ask all my wine retailer friends why there isn’t a good fresh Rose packaged in Bag in a Box.

Given that most Rose should be consumed within the first year, it seems that boxed Rose would be a great candidate for the wine that really would sail out the door.

Having lived in France where a lot of wine geeks keep a box of Southern Rose in their fridge, why haven’t importers decided to break the mold and bring some to the US.

I ask myself that question all of the time. Thanks for broaching the topic.

Unquestionably the best boxed wine on the market at $12.97 is:

Since Jorge Ordonez bottles the white and rose, I wonder why he hasn’t taken the dive into boxing either of them. I actually called to ask, but that’s another story.

Best,

Kenney

It has always been my position too and thus I have only put my rosé into bag in box and KeyKeg. Alas, none for the US. I do believe that bag in box for “ready to drink” premium wines is the future.

Great idea - one doesn’t expect Rose to be in a bottle, or have a cork or capsule, so why not just keep it fresh, a glass at a time, in a box, but be high quality stuff?

Couldn’t a recognized, respected small winery owner or winemaker have success with it? Fred Scherrer, for example, or Kathleen Inman - I bet the Berserkers could buy out several hundred boxes - might be the right launching point for a cool and potentially successful experiment.

A couple of years ago I remember the Nicolas chain in France offering their Petites Récoltes line of roses in bottle and box. Seemed like a great idea. I think we were served a few of them in carafes at various cafes that kept a box at the bar just for that purpose.

Here

Awesome! Is it gonna happen?? The time is NOW!

Watching the box/bag section in the local grocery store grow every year. I think it needs to be Carlisle or Bedrock type to really rock this segment, blow it wide open.

[resizeableimage=450,800]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/brigca/CTGS/IMAG0425_zpsd760aa14.jpg[/resizeableimage]

While not a rose, Evesham Wood did some bag in a box pinot a couple vintages back, but has stopped as far as I can tell. I heard from a retailer they weren’t pleased with how the wines held up, some number of boxes went off/oxidized maybe even before they were opened.

Is there some chance that small scale boxed wine is more trouble than it’s worth? I would think Andrew Nielson would be best situated to answer that question!

My wife and I spent two days putting two barrels into Bag in Box and fifteen minutes putting the other two barrels into KeyKeg (basically a 20L bag-in-bag that has taken off with microbrewers). We did it all by gravity via a syphon action. We pre-filled each bag with Nitrogen before filling and I also went with a higher dissolved CO2 in the wine than I would if I was bottling it, my guess something like 800-1000 ppm.

We immediately opened one of the bags and have been slowly drinking it over the past few weeks, three weeks in it still tastes as fresh as when we packaged it.

So far I think it is a winning idea for Rosé especially. I don’t need to bring in a contract bottler, no corks, no bottles, no labels (each box was hand stamped). Transport costs are much lower, as boxes I could fit 4 barrels of wine on a pallet compared to two barrels if they were in bottle. All of this means I can offer the wine at a better price than if they were bottled as well. I have just had it in market for a week and feedback and sales have been above expectations.

Two days to do that small amount is a bit much but there are definitely learns. Next year I will definitely build/buy a setup with a flow control meter rather than weighing each bag to determine correct fill. I am very passionate about ethical wine packaging (I don’t use capsules on any of my bottled wine). This is especially important in the UK where we don’t have a domestic industrial demand for green tinted glass so it gets ground up and shipped to Portugal and India amongst other destinations rather than recycled and used in the UK. So there is a double carbon-mile effect with bottles which I find troubling.

I really think BIB & refillable bottles are the future for premium “drink now” wine as there are so many pros for consumer and producer.

Where can we get some??

I think Morgan weighed in on a discussion like this a while back. It seems the limiting factor is access to the packaging equipment for the bladder-in-a-box. Only the really big wineries have them, and there isn’t a mobile service set up with such equipment. Basically, the winemaker would have to find a facility that would be willing to run a small ‘bottling’, and I don’t think most industrial winemakers would agree to that.

Todd, this was an “experimental” batch to see if the market was ready for this. So far I think the answer is a definite yes, so this time next year, vintage willing, I’ll be able to send some CA way.

Berserkerday leads the way again!

EXACTLY

I would DEFINITELY buy boxed wines by quality producers/importers/etc. The Vina Borgia that Kenney posted about above is, for the money, unequaled.

DO it and they will come…and buy it.

Actually, it might be something to look into for the “Bob Wood Memorial” wines. If Bob would have supported it, then it would be great to do. And, if Bob would have hated it, it would be even greater to do. champagne.gif

OK, Berserkerday V, it is! [berserker.gif]

We’ll just have you drop ship a pallet to socal and we’ll divide it up.

I would be in for at least three boxes, one for each of the summer months [cheers.gif]

Posts like these are why I come to WB, thanks for sharing your experiences!