TN 2005 Lewelling Cabernet Savignon

I have recently really enjoyed the Wight version of this wine. The 02,03 and 04 versions were all great. The 04 may be my favorite 04 California Cabernet. This bottle is the plain old vanilla regular bottling that is sold bundled with the Wight by the winery for about $30.00 a pop.
Nice opening salvo of creme-de -casis, plums, a little smoke and mocha. Not as distinguished or complex as the 04 Wight that I adore but a surprisingly pleasant quaff. I thought enough of it to call my Right Wing antithesis Otto Dobre who recently found this wine blah material.
He was wrong for a change. pileon neener.
Glad I have a chance to take my man Tex for a tasting with these guys in 10 days.
JB flirtysmile flirtysmile flirtysmile [thumbs-up.gif]
Three and one half flirties for $30 beanies??? buy buy buy.

how much does the winery charge for the Wight these days? i’ve seen a few around at retail, but don’t have any idea what the markup is. tia.

The two wines retail for $90.00 total. Therefore about $60.00 for the Wight. It is a stellar deal and one of the best wines let alone values from Napa.

Jack, I will revisit the wine probably this weekend, your note sounds very enticing. But even if I like it, can’t promise that I will revisit my old tn. Too many times lately where I;ve had to reconsider my tn’s entirely, not good for my already damadged rep. pileon

How did the 06s and 07s turn out? I know neither are out yet but I don’t recall seeing any reviews? Which reminds me I need to figure out when pick up weekend is for the 06.

Brian I will be there next Friday and hope to taste both. I am already in for a case of the 06 and hope to get the same allotment for 07. flirtysmile

Very cool! I look forward to hearing about your visit!

Thanks for your response. The retail price I’ve seen for the Wight is $94, which I thought was a bit high. I guess I’ll just wait for my name to come up from the waiting list (I just signed-up a couple weeks ago). Anybody know how long it takes to get off the waiting list?

I signed up after a visit in Nov 06 and received the 05 release offer the following Sept/Oct. Your essentially purchasing futures as the wine is released about a year after your purchase. I’ve had the 05 regular twice. The first time was last Dec and it was a bit to hot and oaky for me. Had again in July and it was better integrated although I did pick up a bit of heat as the wine cooled. I like both of the bottles with a few years of age so I’ll leave these alone for now. One of my favorites and an incredible value for Napa Cab.

currently one year and going for me

Surprised at that Charlie. They offered to double my allotment at a discount because they failed to sell out in November when the 06’s were released.

Charlie & Fred,

Thanks for your responses. [berserker.gif]

yeah, i know i’m on the waiting list cause Hailey saw my name on there. I like the wine, I don’t love the wine… so I’m not too heartbroken. Don’t find myself drinking as many Cab based wines as I used to.

Be sure to get some oak extract to add to them once you do get an allocation and crack one.

THEY FINALLY SELL THOSE IN BOTTLES?! flirtysmile flirtysmile flirtysmile flirtysmile flirtysmile
That being said, the Lewelling Wight bottling has its fair share of toasted oak, even I could not handle so much oak if I added some in.