TN: 1985 Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne Brut Rosé Rare

1985 Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne Brut Rosé Rare - France, Champagne (11/8/2008)
I thought this was a pretty remarkable bottle of wine. Exotic and alluring aromas of gingerbread, sugarcane, toffee, strawberries, and toast. Rich yet balanced on the palate with luxuriant notes of lemon rind, caramel, dried apricot, candied orange rind, and sea shells. Persistent finish with excellent acidity. I could drink this stuff all day. (93 pts.)

Damn. Where was I? :geek:

check out at the date. this was opened at a dinner that chris chew hosted a while back.

This was a favorite at my Blind Bubbly Tasting back in December, a real stunning beauty and tasting much younger than its age. Notes are here: Random Ramblings on Food and Wine: Blind Bubbly Tasting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers! [gen_fro.gif]

sounds like a terrific tasting! what a shame i don’t live in NYC, or you in so cal! btw, i agree on the 2003 giacosa spumante – didn’t care for that either.

sounds awesome. I got married in 85 so have been saving some '85 wines but sadly not this one. Thanks Paul.

get on it, ramon! i can’t think of a better way to celebrate your next anniversary! [drinkers.gif]

I love the 88 Rare Brut, too.

Both are great wines.

Yeah, was a lot of fun and a real eye-opener. That NV Pierre Moncuit Cuvee Delos is real special juice at a great price.

Agreed on the '88. I’m most of the way through my six-pack that I bought.

I found a few of these in Austin and I’m thinking about sourcing it for my birthday (85 birth year). Sounds great! I’ve only had the 2000 which wasn’t too bad at all. Which brings up a question- Is this the same as the vintage Rose? Do they just add the “rare” because it’s a later disgorgement? Thanks

rare is VC code for late disgorged.

I think I still have two of these. I remember really enjoying them when they were first released. Perhaps I will will revisit one soon.

I didn’t know that but it would explain the youthful aspects of the wine.