Chasseur SVD pre-release

Looks like there are a few Chasseur fans on the board. This is probably my favorite Pinot and Chard producer. Great wines and a nice price incenitive for club members- 20% off any purchase. It looks like there is an early release before the main one.

The reviews on all of the 07’s have been terrific. 91-96 pts for the pinots and 88-95 for the chards. More important are the notes themselves and how they compare to Bill Hunter’s notes. My average cost was under $ 44 across the pinot’s and chards. These are great wines and even better values.

My biggest purchase of the year and one that made it easy to pass on other offers.

Fred,

Let me know if you can add a few extra to the order!

Kevin- check out their website. It has detailed notes and the reviews. The Sangiacomo Chard is always my favorite and after discount is only $ 38. I like the Sylvia and Blank pinot’s and their are some new ones to try as well. Looks like I can still order the appellation pinot’s too. The regular SC pinot is my favorite appellation pinot from any producer and is $ 32 after discount.

Ground shipping is a little high though. 2 cases cost $ 117.
Check out the website and shoot me an email. My order is placed but I can do another one.

Good gawd, I lo-o-o-o-ve Chasseur’s chards. In the past few years of cutting back I still must get a few. I would have loved to have gone as close to my full allocation as possible, but only could spring for 2 each of three of the SV chards.

I couple of years ago I posted on that ‘other’ BB a whole slew of California chard TNs, I think I called it our rediscovery tour of Cali chards, or something like that. California chardonnay has new life these past five or more years in that there are lots of simply gorgeous wines made now that can be enjoyed with all sorts of food or on their own, and made in a truly California style. Old guards like Kistler and Mount Eden etc. have lots of company now!

These are not trying to be Burgundy, but are uniquely California: big and rich, but structured and balanced and utterly enjoyable, oak present but artfully done. Chasseur’s chards are among the best ones, and I think you get close to Aubert and Kistler quality at much less cost (never had the chance to have a Kongsgaard, or however you spell it, but those sound great, too). There are terrific California chards made in a more “Burgundian” style, and we love those, too. Arcadian chards, for instance, some Mount Edens with some age on them, and plenty of others. But when you want a big one there are great choices. I like Conoisseur’s Guide along with Tanzer to help point me in the direction of good ones.

The few Chasseur pinots we’ve had are great, too, but our buying tendency has been much more towards white wine over the past few years because we generally have wine with dinner. And out here in SoCal, with the type of food we in our family generally make, white wines are most often what we want.

Anyway, your post inspired me to wax poetic on this stuff… thanks!

Nice post B. The 05 Sonoma Coast and 05 Sangiacomo have been my favorite chards. Just looked at the consumption report in CT. Can’t believe how much of their wines we’ve had.

Did you buy any of the 07 Sonoma County Chard ?

I’m one of those ‘fans’ on here, and lately I’ve been cracking my '05 SVD Chasseurs - I was more impressed with the pinots thus far, but the Chards are also fantastic, and easily among the best I have in my cellar. I’m skipping now, though, and technically I’m not even a club member anymore.