Tuesday Night Vinos

A friend and I decided to have our monthly meeting of the minds and palates at a little neighborhood place with an amazing wine list. Why? Because it was Tuesday, of course. The food was absolutely spot-on fantastic.

As we sat down, a glass of NV Pierre Peters Blanc de Blancs was proffered. Not to be rude, I of course accepted it. Lovely nose of white flowers and green apples, carrying through on the palate. Stingingly bright acidity held the frame together, making this a lovely palate pleaser while we perused the immense list.

As our Pierre Peters were petering out, we decided to order the NV Selosses Rose. Served in white wine glasses, this was an aromatic bombshell of roses, soft cranberries, strawberries and cherries, all wrapped in a thin layer of dough that helped soften things a bit. The mouthfeel was just amazing, a real pleasure to behold, and the finish went on and on. As usual, this is a gorgeous Champagne, and I was glad to have another go at it.

With our first courses, we opened a 1990 Faiveley Corton Charlemagne. Brought to the table in a decanter, this wine had me worried with its deep golden color. Could it be oxydized? No, it was just a bit shy: lovely, rich citrus and lemon notes were mixed with soft almonds and apples on a slightly fat frame that was balanced by zingy acidity. The finish was another killer, going on for a long time and leaving you with a memory of something delicious. As it opened up, some hints of white truffles began to emerge, which was perfect company for my truffle dish.

Now the second course appeared, and with this we poured the 1990 Drouhin Vosne Romanee les Petits Monts. At first it was a bit funky, but as it breathed it quickly unfolded to reveal beautiful cherries and light red fruits with sous-bois, leather, and that lovely funk that old Burgundies get. There was a beguiling floral note to it that came and went, teasing us as it did so. I couldn’t keep my nose out of this glass! The palate was the same, with a fantastic structure that held everything up for display and ended with a long, haunting finish. Absolutely stunning.

We ended the night with cheese at the bar, taking up the Corton where we’d left off (and anyway I prefer my white Burgs with cheese). However, a gentleman at the bar offered us a taste of his bottle, a 1983 Laville Haut Brion Blanc. Wow, vive la difference! This was a slap to the palate after the richness of the Corton, a real waker-upper. Very nice, and a lovely way to end a lovely evening.
Cheers! [gen_fro.gif]

Just Michel? What, are you like Cher or something? [highfive.gif]

Yep, I’m too cool for any more names. I’m so cool, your tongue will stick. [diablo.gif]

Oh please…

Everyone already knows who you are by your avatar.

Who, moi? [shock.gif]

Si…usted.