Ridiculous Deliciousness in San Francisco: '11 Ceritas Costalina

Last minute reservation at Farallon was rewarded with great food & an awesome wine list. Reluctantly passed on a bunch of burgs, a couple Allemands, Chidaine, Peppiere; settled on the '11 Ceritas Costalina PN and '11 Lapierre Morgon.

The Lapierre was okay, but more bretty than the many previous bottles I’ve had. The Ceritas more than made up for any disappointment. Elegant and pure, energetic sour and sweet cherries; loamy and minerally, perfect balance and harmony. If I had to describe it with one word, I’d pick “poised”.

They then opened a bottle of '70 Grahams and let us buy it by the glass; perfect with the bleu cheese tray and chocolates for dessert.

The Coastalina is another fine example of the 2011 vintage and in the short list of my best reds for 2013. Thanks for the note, Warren.

PS–Allemand and Chidaine…not too shabby either.

Costalina in 2011 is a blend of their single vineyards. I liked it a lot too.

Warren, go Sardinian while you’re in town.

you wont regret it

La Ciccia is tremendous

No way to get last minute res’ at LaC. We ate at Farallon last night, and The Slanted Door tonight (got lucky; called just as someone was cxl’ing their reservation). A nice grower champagne with dinner; '02 Saint-Chamant BdB treated us well.

Forgot to add my note y/day!

• 2011 Ceritas Pinot Noir Costalina - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (5/25/2013)
    Opened about 90 mins ago. Beautiful bright red and light purple color. Stems show in the aromatic, along with crushed rock, spicy cherry. Deep stony red flavors, a savory, loamy note in the core and finish, too…truffly. What I liked about this wine when I had it 2 months ago, then again now, is the purity of the red fruit, resembling another producer whose pinots I respect for this same purity–Copain. This pure quality is here, and it’s not obstructed or blurred by any wood/oak either. As it airs, picks up notes of blueberry too, which underpins the cherry. Still lots of structure here and so perhaps some more slox ox time will soften it but what a beautiful core of flavors and tension here…one day with the bottle open, such a great bottle of pinot noir. Showing some red apple tones today and wet stone, more drinkable today with the air, too. Finish also shows a kiss of vanilla too. It is wines like this that keep me spending my wine budget in California, forgettng Burgundy. Just terrific, another horrible 2011 I will add to my WOTY list.

Posted from CellarTracker

This wine shows how great, and what a great value, California appellation Pinot Noir can be. Impressive quality in an energetic, nuanced, subtle, more traditional style. At $45 or so? a silly value.

Sounds a little like the 11 Littorai Sonoma Coast we had Friday night. I keep reading these great notes on Ceritas. Need to seek them out.

Ridiculous deliciousness is indeed apt. So yummy, and then there were two.

FWIW, some notes on a visit with John Raytek at Ceritas last June: Ceritas Wines

John can read this note…

Found my last bottle, still delicious. All tea & truffles now which makes for a refined attack after a nose revealing magic marker and chemical undertones.

Lovely drop for what was otherwise a wholly weird Friday.
A6450431-DE7F-4B54-BD01-63BD87275B4C.jpeg

Looking at CT, I’m out of all '11 Ceritas Pinots, and for Costalina, only have a couple of '14s. One of a pair of 2010 Escarpas will need a visit, maybe this week. I have every Pinot John made in 2012. Plus, a spattering of 2013-2015, PB & Elliot. I need to start opening these.
I’ve stopped buying as I have two cases (mixed), but I can remedy that soon.

Warren Taranow wrote:
They then opened a bottle of '70 Grahams and let us buy it by the glass; perfect with the bleu cheese tray and chocolates for dessert.

Well done, sir! Glad you are enjoying San Francisco! October is one of the best months to visit, weather-wise.

Ed

He was there in August (2013)

Farallon announced in August they were closing for good. They did have a long 23 year run. Quite an accomplishment.

That is a great run. Sorry to hear they’re closing. Another casualty of 2020?