TN: 1953 Moulin Touchais

TN: 1953 Moulin Touchais – Coteaux du Layon

I fancied something decently mature this Friday evening, so I chose this bottle. Purchased some time ago from a European source. The cork came out in one piece. Deep amber with a yellow green rim. An enchanting nose of old history. Soft butterscotch, fine marmalade and a hint of fennel. The palate is seamless nectar. Dried apricots, fine mouthfeel with a freshness and persistence that rolls around my tongue. The finish is fresh and could almost be described as minty. Drinking this wine is like I imagine kissing Christy Turlington when she used to model Eternity for Calvin Klein.

Bottle of 1953 Moulin Touchais
Imgur

Main label of 1953 Moulin Touchais
Imgur

Neck label of 1953 Moulin Touchais
Imgur

My glass of 1953 Moulin Touchais
Imgur

2 Likes

Great note, however it would have probably tasted better had you shared the bottle with me next year when I’m in Europe. neener

Thank you. So you don’t want to try the 1964 or 1959? neener

1 Like

Had this today with my father for Fathers day. He is born in 1953 and so I bought this in 2021 from an auction, where I was assured provenance was in order…

The wine was in great shape!
Salted caramel, apricot. Medium-long finish with enough freshness and acidity still…

I’ve never had the '53. I’ve opened a couple of '59s, that last one in 2018. Folks in my wine group guessed early 90’s Chenin.

Cheers,
Warren

“Drinking this wine is like I imagine kissing Christy Turlington when she used to model Eternity for Calvin Klein.”

Sounds better than a Gwyneth Paltrow candle.

1 Like

Thank you.

Does it smell like a pepper pot?

You know who those are better shared with, Nicos… [wink.gif] [cheers.gif]

I have a lone bottle of ‘59 available to share with whomever wants to drink it in/near LA.

Yes, like a 1970 Foreau demi-sec? [wink.gif] [cheers.gif]

The oldest I have is a 1985, which I’m happy to pop if you have time when you’re in Chicago this fall.

Admittedly, it’s not quite as exciting as the 1953, but then again, I’m not as exciting as Nicos either.

Or Christy Turlington, for that matter.

1 Like

Hello Corey. Thank you for your kind words, but I lead a quiet, sedate, peaceful lifestyle. champagne.gif

1 Like

Jeez, how’d this get dredged up??? Thanks, just bring Christy, I’m sure she’s exciting enough. No offense to you or Nicos, of course.