TN: 2005 Haut Bages Liberal

Used the coravin to check in on this one. Dark purple in appearance with a lovely nose of blackberries with a touch of dark chocolate. The tannins are really starting to integrate. The palate echos the nose focusing on the darker fruits. A real smooth finish. This feels like it still could live a long life but tasty now.

Thanks for the note, one I went fairly heavy on after enjoying a bottle shortly after release. Haven’t checked in on it but have been curious.

Just tried this recently as well and have a similar note to you. I don’t like young Bordeaux so for me this has 8 - 10 till I’d pop it, but surprisingly the tannin wasn’t overwhelming and was quite ripe and silky.

We opened a bottle last night. Very enjoyable with pot roast. Fruit still out front, tannins not sticking out. “Ripe and silky” is a good description. Delicious and ready to go unless you favor tertiary development over ripe fruit, but certainly no need to be in a hurry either.

Have always found this to underperform for vintages in 80s and 90s, is this another property where the light came on in 2000 and quality improved?

If you are/were lucky to come across a good bottle of 1990, you’ll be amazed at how good it is, the problem being that there are a lot of bad ones. I was very lucky to have a whole case of excellent ones which for a time seriously challenged Lynch-Bages. But generally, I agree that the 80s and 90s were not their finest hours. I think that there was certainly an improvement from 2000 onwards. The 2001 was and probably still is a good wine and I even enjoyed the 2002. The price is still close to what it was in the mid-00s so it’s good value.