Poll - RHYS 375ml vs 500ml

If you had to pick one, what new RHYS format size would you prefer?

• 375ml
  • 500ml

0 voters

Given that KH is considering adopting smaller format bottles into his lineup, I thought that a poll would be appropriate to aid in making his decision.

I personally find the 500ml to be a more handy size.

TTT

Thanks Paul.
I am very interested in these results.

I had some 500ml bottles in Switzerland. I love that size. It’s like Goldilocks, 375 is too small, 750 is too big, 500 is just right. At least for me. Wish more producers offered this size.

“A magnum is the perfect size for two people.” --Fifi

Saw this on the twitter rhys thread.

What do you guy do storage wise for bottles in the 375 500 range…I have a hard enough time now fitting all the different sizes of 750 into my cellar, I dont really think I want to have 1-2 more sizes stuck in there.

I just havent had the issue of not being able to finish 750s If its a weekend we are cooking and we drink the bottle over the night and if its a week night we just cork it throw it in the mini fridge and drink on it for a few days.

Definitely 500s. Plus they fit in standard racking. 500 is just a better size, IMO.

For me it comes down to alcohol content.

I can drink a 750 ml of 15% plus zin but I’ll be feeling it the next day. I don’t like drinking leftover wine the following day. It is never as good. So these high alcohol wines is go with 375 ml.

But lower alcohol levels like 12-14% I’d rather see in 500 ml as I can drink that in an evening and survive the next day.

So I think a Pinot noir would generally be in that area.

Joe,
We don’t often discuss alcohol levels in our newsletters but 90% of our Pinots fall between 12.5% and 13.5%.

I know. I voted for 500 ml for Rhys. They are yummy and I’m kissing up as best I can to get onto the list. For now I wait for people to sell me their allocation. But to suck up some more there will be a few of Rhys on my turkey day table. :slight_smile:

750 with a Coravin [wink.gif]

I voted for the 500 ml bottle size because I think that is the most user-friendly “small” size for most of the Rhys line-up. That being said, I still like the idea of buying the San Mateo blend in 375 mls.

Feeling contrarian and voted that way. 500 and 750 are practically the same. But a 375 is like half, man!

375 here. Good size for a preview of the wines/vineyard, and the price will be better.

I agree the 375 is better for a preview since it will accelerate the aging process faster than a larger bottle, but technically you’ll be paying more per $/ml since you have more money lost in packaging.

If 375s meant more people were able to get their hands on it due to bottle limits, I’d vote for that. Seems there are a lot of people waiting to get distribution (for me, back on distribution after a hiatus). If it made no difference, I’d vote 500s.

I agree with this. If I’m going to open a 500ml I’m just as happy, and actually prefer a 750. They are too close in size to offer much difference.

Frankly, I probably wouldn’t buy either. I pretty much only buy smaller formats for desert wines. I will however probably pick up some magnums on this futures offer. It makes a lot of sense to ask people to commit to mags before the wine is bottled, rather than bottled a limited number that results in some getting shut out on wishlist requests for mags, despite being offered a large number of 750s.

In 375mls, the ideal thing for me would be a sampler pack of one of each wine (Calera does this). If they were in 500mls, I’d get multiples of each wine - I just find them useful on more occasions than 375s. I’d still buy plenty in 750s either way.

500’s are a great size for Sauternes or Ports, if they are available. Usually by that point in the night a full bottle may be too much

I have to wonder… would the people voting for 375s still buy 500s if that was the chosen format? And conversely, would the people voting for 500s still buy 375s if that was the chosen format? The more I think about it, the less inclined I feel I am to buy 375s. But hey, that’s just me. Once that Rhys order form is in front of my face, all bets are off.

Close voting. Cool.

I prefer the 375 size. About 2 or 3 glasses is great for one person over an evening if I am drinking alone for some reason. 500 is too much. If it is for two of us (or more) a 750 works out well.

I am not likely to buy 500’s. FWIW, I buy a fair amount of 375’s for personal drinking.

I like 375 for Sauternes. I think I would purchase the 500 for some wines but I would also buy the same wine in 750 for gatherings. 500 is more personal use so I don’t pour anything down the drain.