TN: 2008 Zepaltas Pinot Noir Suacci (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast)

• 2008 Zepaltas Pinot Noir Suacci - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/4/2013)
    The Suacci is my favorite from Ryan and this one did not disapoint. The prior note is spot on. This has really developed over the last year. It’s light red color really delivers starting with cherry that was a touch sour then it folds in lively spice, nice acidity and great forest floor notes. It’s very true to the site and it really is in a perfect spot if you have any. Excellent ! (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Btw, for those that care 13.5% alc. Just a great wine. Suacci is one of my all time favorite Cali Pinot’s.

Agreed with all of the above about Suacci and Ryan’s presentation of it. His '05 to date is a benchmark wine for me. This vineyard producers what to me is the peak of what Sonoma Coast pinot is capable of. Good to know the '08 is humming.

Thanks for the note, Fred.

-Nathan

Nathan- Sounds like you like Suacci as much as I do. i looked back and had only bought 1 bottle for some reason. Ryan gave this recent bottle to us as a gift when we visited him in October to taste through some of the 12’s. I think some of the Cali and Burg lovers on the board should check his wines out. They really are very nice.

I’m glad to hear you (and hopefully others) enjoy this vineyard. It’s so tiny and its yields are so low that not many hear about it. And Ryan seems to be making most of the wine from it (for Zepaltas and Suacci Carciere). I love the complexity of these wines, somehow light and lively at once.

I bought 4 of the '08 - drank one and gifted the other (must have been a special occasion!). I’ll probably check on one soon based your recommendation.

I agree with the assessment that Zepaltas wines would reach more of the palates of this board if people just had the chance to try them. The chards are pretty special as well - more mineral and lemon.

Only have one of the '08 Suacci’s that came in my first mixed-case purchase, trying like hell to lay off it. Looking forward to the return of this SVD to the Zepaltas lineup next year. I was out at the vineyard for a pickup two years ago, pretty spot - and steep!

glad you all are enjoying the 08s. it was a sleeper/creeper vintage. It was disappointing and thin early on but it has really matured nicely. We are excited about the 2012 release in February.

Ryan- what else is in that release ? Chard and La Cruz ? Any early feelings on 13 ?

Ryan, just popped a bottle of '10? '11? '09? – I can’t remember, in any case I was struck by how good it was and wondering why the hell we don’t carry it anymore. Get your reps to get some samples down to us. Just pulled you up on 750 and didn’t even realize you had a Rose let alone a Chard and SB. I’d love to taste them.

I love the Suacci’s Ryan produces and I only have 2 2009’s left. Need to save some space for the 2012’s when they are released.

I’m going to open an 09 today for the games with my family. Brother and sister in law are big fans.

Took 2 10 Sonoma Coast to a business dinner Friday and they were singing after being open for a bit as the air really helped the complexity and depth( still a bit young). My clients loved the wines. Always fun introducing these wines to folks who like Pinot but have not experienced any of the smaller boutique producers.

Anyone have notes on the 2011 Risuena?

Kyle- I’d have to check with Ryan on vintage. I see 2 in CT but thought he only made 1 vintage of Risuena. Our group tasted it in October 2012 during our visit and thought it was a very good easy drinking value pinot. I’m not sure if that was the 10 or the 11 but our group really enjoyed it especially at the price.

Ryan PMed me (love this place). He made this in the '11 vintage. Thanks for the note! I’m grabbing a bottle to see if I want to grab a few.

All this talk reminded me I Pobegaed a 12 RRV right off the truck. My first time trying a Zepaltas, basically a barrel sample but man it was delicious! I will be all over the next release [cheers.gif]