Pungo--a Coravin alternative

there is a new thread but misplaced—
about Pungo, a new wine dispenser like Coravin in that one dispenses wine from an unopened bottle that is then replaced by argon.
Evidently it is a kickstarter project. Looks interesting. No affiliation, yada, yada, yada.

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/article/1299617/new-pimp-here-with-a-cool-idea-pt-2/

Brian’s link also links to the kickstarter thread–at the bottom of the article he links to. Looks interesting.

Reminds me of the old childrens’ song:
P-u-n-g-o
P-u-n-g-o
P-u-n-g-o
And Pungo was its name…

That was B-I-N-G-O
Pungo is a small community in southeastern Virginia that was named after Machiopungo,chief of a Chesapeake Indian tribe…
How do I know?
I once lived there…

“Machio, Machio man…”

I’ve discovered yet another coravin alternative… so far I am pleased with the results…

Scott, on average, how long does it take the cork to re-seal with that device?

All this talk of resealing corks makes me think people need to drink more.

Klapp, your services might be needed over in the “reneging on WOTY” thread. I’ve tried to insult them all into submission so the thread will die, but it’s a lonely battle.

I am afraid that I would be in a very dark place regarding whining morons chasing a CVNE wine because it has had perhaps the most meaningless wine award on earth bestowed upon it…

That’s what I was counting on

From what I saw on the Kickstarter site http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1649956048/pungotm-the-ultimate-wine-preservation-device they do not allow the cork to reseal but instead use a golf tee shaped implement to put in the hole the needle made. This practice would sidestep the issue with corks that don’t reseal but introduce issues with whether or not air will get in while placing the implement or while the implement stays in place. I think Burt and Morgan envision the Pungo staying in the bottle until it is finished necessitating multiple Pungos if used as the Coravin is being used or they expect the tee shaped implement to be used. However, the Pungo would seem to use less argon and I think costs less per capsule than the Coravin version. I believe the initial price they think will be just under $300 if they get enough backing to begin production.

How was their wine?

could you all get back on track and discuss this preservation system?

It’s a little sad there are only 17 backers so far.

I have not yet used the Coravin but from everything I’ve read, it seems to work great. I don’t understand why you would choose what looks like a much more complex system with more parts (including the very invasive “sealing pin”) when you could have a system that capitalizes on the corks ability to reseal themselves.

That is unless the corks are breaking down and unable to reseal themselves, which I’ve seen in a couple posts. But it seems like that’s a very rare problem and Coravin could perhaps address that through some sort of supplemental tool you use as the exception and not as the rule as Pungo does here.

I guess you could use the Pungo stopper for screwcap wines, so that’s an advantage. The Coravin just looks like a much cleaner experience overall though.

I tend to agree although my failure rate on corks leaking is 3 out of 15 or so. This problem does not seem to be related to the age of the corks so it is hit or miss with no warning. The other attractive feature that the Pungo has is a better pour with less use of argon. The larger opening and 2 chambered needle allows the wine flow to be smoother with less splatter.

Well, they’re trying to get support for a device that was already invented, tested, and is in the market. Speaking of, anyone want to invest in a portable phone that works without wires? [snort.gif]

maybe I am a contrarian, but Coravin does not appeal to me as much as this newer device. I worry re the pressure in bottles using Coravin. The Pungo is less expensive, pours better, and looks better. I would use it.

Does everyone drive the same model car?

So it does sound like the Pungo has a practical advantage over the Coravin (smoother, cleaner pour) and that perhaps the Coravin’s central feature (capitalizing on resealing corks) may break down more often than is acceptable.

Alan, obviously there’s room in the market for more than one model. It sounds like there’s still room to perfect a system so perhaps they can push each other to continue to innovate.