A Sad Closing in DC - Dino's

Thought it’s worth mentioning that Dino’s will be closing in Cleveland Park. Home to the first offline I ever went to, I may have dined here 20 times over the years and was always welcomed in with a smile from Dean. He is a great supporter of forums like this and was an active member of eBob for quite some time. While not as trendy or popular as it was 5+ years ago, this was a real community hub and it’s sad to see them go.

The list of Berserker’s that I’ve shared a glass (or many more with) here is too long to name, but I know that this place will be missed. If you’re in town over the coming weeks, makes sense to swing by and raid Dean’s great Italian cellar.

Raising a glass here in Chicago…

Excited to try Dean’s new place in Shaw…

I’ve been to a couple offlines there myself. Too bad it’s closing.

Never an offline, but eat there 3x in last couple years… Such a great guy and so wine friendly. Bummer…

Never an offline, but eat there 3x in last couple years… Such a great guy and so wine friendly. Bummer…

For those local, according to the announcement, wines $150 and higher are 50 percent off until they close (except holidays). I’m sad they’re closing, but hoping he’ll have much success in his new location and can’t wait to give it a try!

here’s the official announcement:
http://www.icontact-archive.com/AH8JBnLDxZBnR9UPMUoTzVr22XoSJQUF?w=1

and the City Paper has a good report and interview with Dean:

Where is “Shaw”?

it’s the neighborhood behind the convention center… roughly 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th streets NW from about N Street toward U Street and Florida Avenue.

It is a neighborhood roughly north of the Verizon Center.

When I talked to Dean about this a few weeks ago, he said that he was looking at several possibilities. I am not sure how certain a Shaw location might be.

Dean’s commitment to the very best ingredients, and to a ridiculously deep list with new and different items at reasonable prices is rare. Bordering on unique. I hope this turns out for the best for him.

ahh, the good old days when you liked domestic wines :slight_smile:

I also posted this over on the Epicurean Forum.
We are going to have our Thanksgiving dinner at Dinos this year. Hope the Shaw location works out quickly - it is much closer to my daughter’s apartment. Best of luck to Dean and thanks for all the great meals and fine wine.

[rofl.gif]

I have been to many off lines at Dino, and dined there with my family and friends often. A nicer guy you will never meet, and if you can find me a restaurant that has as deep and well priced wine list as Dean’s anywhere else in the DC area, I will eat my hat.

I will miss the place, and will make sure to go to the Shaw location when it opens.

Says the guy asking me for Chinon recommendations…

Sad as I always enjoyed the wine list. But if they are just moving I would suggest this is for the best because there are few things worse than trying to park in Cleveland Park (maybe parking in Adams Morgan). The location has deterred me from dining at Dino more frequently.

red line, dude!

My favorite place in town. Hope to make it a few more times before the closing and really hope to see them reopen soon.

Sounds like the Domaine crew should do an offline at Dino one night soon.

AKA the next awesome neighborhood in DC…

Man this is sad. Only been there once and had a great time. Scoured the list for hours prior to going and had my best experience ever asking if a bottle was corked (I wasn’t sure and didn’t know the wine). Owner stopped by, quickly said “yep this is off” and that was it.

Have had numerous offlines and dinners at Dino’s. One of the few sure bets for food and wine list in DC. Hopefully Dino is moving on to something even better and wish him luck.