Question re: the Arcadian Hommage a Max Syrahs

I’m going to open up one of these tonight to pair with a large cut of beef (and to post into Larry P. VTS Syrah thread!). I have 1x '03, 2 each of the '04 and '05 and 3 each of the '07 and '08. I know Joe’s pinots and chardonnays backwards, forwards and inside out, but rarely open up the syrahs and, when I do, it is always the single vineyards…never the Maxes. What’s drinking best from my stash and/or, what should I hold onto? My thinking is to pop an '04, but figured I’d ask the smart folks here based on experience, rather than my just taking a shot in the dark. Also, I am guessing I can’t possibly throw enough air at these and should toss one in the decanter as soon as possible? All input appreciated.

Rick, I can only speak of the '03 but the 2 times I have tried it - first in '08 it was hands down the best syrah based wine I had drunk up to that point. Second time was in '10 and drank blind against some syrah based heavy hitters from all over the world and it came out the clear winner. So I would say it is ready to go - about decanting I would say pop it and give it a taste. Enjoy!
As a side note the '03 Francescas pinot I had a couple months ago was outrageously good as well.

'05 was very tight the two times I’ve tasted it (admittedly, 3 years ago, and 4 years ago, respectively). Haven’t had the other vintages you mention.

Not owning any of the '06 is a huge mistake. Luckily, you can very easily rectify that.

I think the 06 is my favorite but the 03 is coming into its own now and is special as it was the year Max was born. The 07 will be fantastic to but will need more time as does the 06.

I’ve had the 03, 04, and 05. The 03 is awesome, but the 05 I drank two years ago was absolutely stunning after decanting a few hours.

Thanks for the data-points, Joe. We ended up popping an '04, which was delicious with the smoked prime rib that we did. I posted my notes in a recent thread ( Virtual Tasting Series: Week 3 Syrah Over Four Continents - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers ).

Glad to see I have several vintages of ‘the Max’ in cellar to look forward to. Hope all is well with you and yours.

[cheers.gif]

I just recently purchased my first Arcadian wines and am very happy with what I picked up. Didn’t get any Syrah but will resolve that quickly. Great info guys…thanks!