Tell me about the first Berserkers offline you attended

For those who lived to tell the tale, what kind of insanity transpired at your first offline meet-up?

It was a very sedate Volnay tasting in the West Village the Jay Miller organized. I sat next to Keith Levenberg, who I’d never met before. He was very shy. Hard to believe, isn’t it? :slight_smile:

Technically, I think it was in eBob offline, before Berserkers was created.

The first NYC BerserkerFest included a rather significant food fight, and a certain Dominican throwing up multiple times, including on Kristina Sazama’s dress

Carrie and Randy’s store about 3 years ago. Met Eric Keating, Will Segui, and a variety of others (in fact, if you were there, please post, as I was new to the board and still connecting people to names and avatars).
Among a ton of other wine, included a mini-tasting of GIIIs as Eric’s first had just been bottled and several of us brought bottles from other producers. Randy grilled some Flannery, IIRC. A really great event, great group of people, and wasn’t even that painful the next morning.

First one I attended was actually from the WCWN board probably 15 years ago. Still have a couple of very good friends that I met that night.

Different dinner, same result…
Plus, I met my wife via a group put together over on WCWN.

Same … sort of. It was in Nashville and I can’t immediately recall the guys name who hosted. John IIRC. Disappeared off the boards years back. A fairly mellow but fun night.

I don’t really know the first Berserker offline. It might have been at my office. Those always got a bit silly. But really whatever it was, it would have been the same folks from eBob and my first one those IIRC was at Jay Selman’s office.

Maybe the first Berserker offline was the 2009 Falltacular?

J

Is she on WB? If not, I guess we know why…:wink:

And this is amazingly fitting when it comes to smaller offlines, held at one’s own home…

But here is the first official Berserker offline, technically: (the first offline held after the launch of the site at this domain URL)
laoffline1.jpg

In Dallas at Phillip’s house. Lots of people I had never met.
All the Cougars from Phil’s neighborhood came over at the end.
Pretty impressive. Bryan Flannery was there with Scott Manlin and Tex on the grill.
We had some great food.
Some great bottles too and a very good time.
I think the place got trashed so much that he never had it there again.
Bummer that it never happened there again in that I have a very good friend in Dallas so it was a 2 for 1.

Frenchie, hard to say. I do recall the very first OC offline that we did, probably circa 2006 at Sundried Tomato in San Juan. That was via Squires, though. The WB offlines for the OC group we have manifested really were an offshoot of that beginning. What’s fantastic is that we have maintained that momentum over all these years and made some great friends along the way, including the legacy of Falltacular, to Jason’s comment above. WB and your efforts have been a great anchor of that momentum, so thank you for that, brother.

Almost 10 years ago, I attended this excellent dinner:
http://www.finewinegeek.com/tn/2004-01-25_BB_HudsonV_Italian_Il-Cenacolo/

I think this was the first one organized through this board:
http://www.finewinegeek.com/tn/2009-06-13_BB_Steves-Offline_VT/

Good times!

It was in November, 2010, at Napa Valley Wine and Cigar, and the theme was 100 point wines. Carrie and Randy did their usual great job hosting this event, and Rob and Jill McKay graciously provided the Flannery’s beef as well as the fantastic side dishes. The cast of characters included Brandon Tai, Orlando de Jesus, Gloria and Dan Schaefer, Rebecca and Nevin Miller, Bob Summers, Gene M. and a couple more I am blanking on. I think there were 15 of us, with 15 100 pointers, and it was a blast.

100 points on this event.

I must make a correction on the offlines at Napa Valley Wine & Cigar. I didn’t cook. If I did, dinner would have been burnt meat or Mac & Cheese. Chefs have included Tex Landreth, Will Segui, Brian Flannery, (he cooked some meat well enough for him and me) and Bob Wood. Leeda ran around trying to bedazzle people’s pants to look like hers. No matter where Todd Anderson sat that chair would collapse. Everybody seemed to have a good time and the wines were always stellar.

Forgot. The first offline at NVW&C was actually set up by Will Segui. It was held here because nobody else would rent him space for a “Berserker Fest.”

Never been to a Berserker offline but Vayniac offlines rock!

[cheers.gif]

these women?

I’ll bring Arbor Mist to the next offline

Well, I met two upthread posters (Paul Jaouen and Mel Hill) at two different offlines through WCWN. Many, many years back. I’ve always enjoyed have some folks to drink with when I’ve traveled.