I'm Such a Parker Score Wh__ (rhymes): 1946 Bodegas Toro Albala Don PX Convento Seleccion (100 pts)

AFWE street cred aside - not that I had any anyway - I bit the bullet on this 100-point sherry, raved about by TWA as “ulta-mega-super concentrated”. Fancy Schmancy wood packaging, silver collar, wax seal, hand written labels. Only 825 bottles produced. I feel like I gotta take a bath! Kidding side, makes for a nice gift. It’s the Parker “100-point” stickers and Parker tasting note inserts (two of them) that really stuck out. Not sure I have seen such an apparent direct connection between a wine release and a Parker rating.

Pictures:

Will be interesting to try. Bought it as a gift for a close friend and business colleague.

I can’t talk to you any more. Sorry

I know, I know. I should be shunned, banished, spanked.

I can only take solace in the fact that 34.55% of the members of this forum, and more than 50% of the top posters by count are lawyers, and like me, they will all sell their soul and talk to me if I pay their hourly rate. They may be the only friends I now have . . . . I may rejoin eBob.

Have you no shame, no pride, no palate???

Get off this site Robert. You are “dead to us”! [wink.gif]

If you think about it, lads, we now have a new acronym: UMSC, for ultra-mega-super concentrated. I’m just pissed that this did not get 101 points. Imagine what I could flip it for!

Kidding aside, I’ve bought and consumed with a great “hit” rate some really old, library release fortified wines in the past. Had some really great Banyuls from '46, '47 and '49, that I picked up for $100 per. Very unique wines. This one was worth a flyer given my luck (damn I just jinxed myself!).

Having visited Montilla-Moriles a couple of years ago (the primo spot for the Pedro Ximinez grape), I can say from experience that there are some amazing wines produced here. I own a 1945 from the same producer which awaits my 70th birthday.

MrBigJ

The note/score are from Luis Gutierrez though, not RP. And for all the knocks TWA gets here, I’ve found Luis’ articles to be great reads. His reviews/essays on sherry are really informative, and it’s welcome coverage on a region/style I’m finding myself a lot more interested in these days.

PS: Given the BTG offerings at places like Hearth in the past, I doubt you can lose your AFWE card for drinking sherry. :stuck_out_tongue:

Again I’m honored to live in a society where there is so much perfection at our fingertips - we simply have to buy it, and drink it.

R–It’s like I don’t even know you anymore

Should be an amazing drink. I’ve had more recent versions (though not, apparently, this special selection) quite a few times (particularly '72 and '75). They are delicious, but very dense, motor-oily, rich and unctuous. You won’t be able to drink a lot of it at one sitting, but it should be great.

It wasn’t Parker who scored these (maybe that’s a good thing…).

Interesting flavor profile, but I’ve had very little sherry. umami with camphor and petrol. yum? And wth is christmas cake? bouche de noel? or generic fruit cake?

That looks tremendous. Just take the sticker off and throw the inserts away. Enjoy the wine. I’m waffling about buying some…

Robert,

I had a great Montilla Moriles PX Hors d’Age Toro Albala « Don PX Convento Seleccion 1929 » - 18,5/20 last friday, in a great list of Jerez wines (from fino to PX).

It came along with another great sweet wine : Jerez Equipo Navazos « La Bota de Pedro Ximenez Bota 76 » - 18/20

That alvear 2011 is pretty good

I know. Next he will be signing up for Fait Main. pileon

Note that Toro Albala produces an intense nectar named Arrope including 900 grams of residual sugar I could taste about 10 years ago :

Montilla-Moriles – Toro Albala – PX Arrope 2002 :
900 g de sucre pour un sirop cristallisé, sans alcool, qui relègue le Graal de Causse Marines au rang de
vin tendre. « Arrope » désigne un procédé de dessiccation et chauffage à partir des raisins très riches.
Ce « non vin » qui rechigne à couler du flacon et macule littéralement le verre interpelle le pâtissier/chocolatier
présent ce soir là. On y décèle des goûts de fruits caramélisés (cassis, mûre, guigne, églantine).
A servir en coulis, en toute décadence kitsch.

Already seeking out a landing pad for the Owlcopter.

[winner.gif]

Start a thread or three neener