2010 Felsina Chianti Classico

Deep ruby red. On the first pour, reluctant mentholated cherry nose. Nice berry and cherry flavors mixed with leather. Pretty full bodied classico. The wine is a touch tight on opening. So some time in the glass is of benefit. And it will reward cellaring. Really nice wine and a clear winner for the price.

As always!

Very strong vintage for the CC, can’t wait to try the Rancia from this vintage.

I opened a 2010 Castello dei Rampolla CC and put it next to the remains of the Felsina. Both very good and different. At one point I really thought that Tuscany would never be able to get close to Piedmont again. In the last few months I have started to reconsider their positions. It is surprising what a few good vintages and a few dedicated producers can do.

The '10s are beautiful. Been drinking the Monsanto Riserva a bit. It’s got the smoky cherry on the nose with nice cinnamon and licorice notes. Could also use some cellaring.

Thanks for the reminder that i need to pick up some of these

I love monsanto, and have a case of the 10. but the 2009 is still tight and needs cellaring so i have not really thought about getting to the 10’s yet. Monsanto is such excellent value, and also a fairly distinctive style of CCR. Stands out from the crowd.

Cellar that Monsanto for 20 years! Maybe we should start a thread on the last time anybody had a BAD Felsina wine. The answer would be “never” in my case…

I’m still waiting to open some Monsanto Il Poggio 1997. Unfortunately, did not keep up with buying vintages. Luckily, I caught the Felsina Rancia bug early. Still working through vintages from 1994-1999. My go to CCR.

Put me down ditto to what Bill said. I had the '88 CCR a couple of months ago and it was absolutely wonderful, way, way, way outstripping my expectations.

I just backfilled '85, '97 and '99 Rancia Riserva here…

Was that the normale CCR, and not the rancia?? i know felsina has longevity, but still.

Mattias, Badia a Coltibuono has 40-50-year-old normales from great vintages in its cellar that still drink well…

I’ve posted this before, but IMO the vast majority of Chianti gets drunk way too young because it is so delicious as a baby. I had a '71 Castellinuzzo Chianti Classico at a little bistro in Florence last summer that was spectacular - a CC from a producer I’ve never even heard of, and still going strong at 40 years of age.

I think Rancia in particular is a vineyard that demands aging, and in that respect, no different than many Brunello.

You were right before, and you are right again now!

They taste pretty good now. They probably will taste good in 20 years. And very different. Ain’t Sangiovese great.

Great Chianti can be had for a song. I think it’s the best buy in fine wine, year in and year out.

Right now they are really on top of their game. Making plans for three days after Vinitaly this year in search of their secret. Doing visits to:

Castello dei Rampolla
Felsina
Poggio Scalette
Isole e Olena
Montevertine

Yep.
There are some great deals in Barolo and Barbaresco,but not nearly as many as Chianti.

I agree on both the Felsina CC 2010 being a really nice wine and I can’t wait to taste the 2011 as well - the Danish importer tells me that Felsina thinks the 11 is better than the 10 and I really like the 10 so I am looking forward to tasting it soon
And on the topic of great value in Chianti I totally agree and I find the diversity really great as well all the way from the QPR’s up to the Il Poggio and Rancia styles