1992 Ridge Carignane Whitten Ranch ATP

Came in to this one with minimal expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Cork was in great shape. Used the Durand, but probably didn’t have to. Popped and poured. From the bright crimson color as I poured I could tell that this one had held up well. No browning to speak of. Nose and flavor began a little musty, but that blew off after about 15 minutes. Still a lot of fruit left in this one, with a mix of sour cherry and dark spicy brambly fruits, but with an earthy mushroomy background. Kind of reminded me of a well aged CdP. This one can probably go another 5-10, but is in a great place now. Bottle said it would be best within 5-6 years. 14.1% alcohol. 100% Carignane.

I think they very often underestimate how long these wines live on…

Wow! And carignane has a reputation for cracking up.

I had the 2000 Ridge Buchignani Vineyard Carignane three years ago this month (11 years after the vintage). Your description is fairly similar to mine: “Funky scent at first and a bit diffuse and fading in the mouth. Then fleshed out and became quite lovely. Very fresh fruit flavors, though little remaining structure. Some mint and camphor. 86/88”

That Whitten Ranch Carignane is the backbone of the Geyserville so I’m not surprised it held up.

Interesting. I always assumed the carignane in Geyserville provide the gulpable fruit and that the petite syrah was the backbone. You think that Whitten carignane lends structure?

Just got a bottle of '96 Buchignani Carignane at auction. Hoping it was stored well. Any experience with long bottle age on other Ridge ATP wines?

I’ve had some Sonoma Carignanes that are quite burly and tannic and could certainly provide structure. Joseph Swans’s Cotes Du Rosa, which I believe is 100% Carignane, comes to mind (and it is one that can age as well). Not sure about what the Whitten Ranch juice is like when it’s young, but this bottle didn’t really have any remaining tannin or structure as I would expect after 20 odd years. I’d like to try a younger one, but looks like 1997 was the last one.

Yes - the carignane is responsible for high acidity.

I’ve found that Ridge wines from '92 and '91 are still drinking remarkably young.

yes I’ve had a lot of older ATP Ridges. Most have held up well. Some early 90’s are at best or just past but still good. Most from the 80’s are now a tad past best but can still offer a nice tipple if you like older wines ( I do).

Yeah, I think Ridge is particularly known for this, especially early on. The back label of the 1974 Monte Bello says it should reach full maturity within 5-10 years. (The label was written in 1976.)

Thanks for the insights, Larry.

Not quite, Matt. Most of the Ridge varietal Carignane comes from StanBuchingani’s ranch. But they still (occasionally) make Carignane off
WhittenRanch…just not labeled as such.
Tom

1. Ridge Carignane TriangleBlock/OldVines/GeyservilleVnyd (13.8%; 44 brls; Bttld: 2/13; 110 yr old block; Drk:
    12/12-12/17-12/18: EB; Yield: 3.1 tons/acre) 2011
    : Dark/very dark color; strong vanilla/Am.oak/toasted coconut/
    ZagNutBar strong black cherry/Carignane/spicy/blackberry bit Zin-like some dusty/OV/earthy interesting nose;
    soft strong vanilla/Am.oak/coconutty strong black cherry/Carignane/RCCola bit dusty/OV bit earthy/rustic slight
    complex flavor w/ some hard tannins; very long strong black cherry/Carignane/cola/spicy/bit Zin-like/blackberry
    strong coconutty/vanilla/Am.oak finish w/ some hard tannins; actually resembles Geyserville more than Buchignani
    Carignane in character; one of the best Ridge Carignanes I can recall but still not
    a silk purse. $28.00 (ATP)

The Triangle Carignane is really tasty, we bought some when we visited the Lytton Springs facility. As Tom says, one of their better efforts.