2011 Vintage Port. Do you have a favorite?

Lots of great young ones to choose from, as 2011 produced arguably more great Ports than any other recent vintage.

No favorite yet, as I have bought and cellared. Not a single bottle opened as of yet.

No favorites yet, but I tried the Fonseca last weekend and it was awesome!

Thanks,
Ed

Please don’t tell me that. I’m trying to stay strong and leave the box unopened.

No reason to do that David. It is part of the charm of the 2011’s. Remarkably good for early consumption. Which did you purchase?

Fonseca is quite goo. Nice going, Ed!

Roy, which wines would be your choices for early consumption? Say within the next 10 years.
Thanks, from an old guy.

Just about any 2011 you can find. :slight_smile:

I was always under the impression that any Port worthy of a declared vintage, needed a minimum of 15 years.

The Quinta Do Noval that I had last month was great right out of the gate.

Used to be the case. Modernization of winemaking and viticulture have changed that in more recent times. No longer does Port have to be cellared for a couple of decades in order to reach the point of providing pleasure. They are much more approachable than ever. Tannin management and cleaner fortifying spirit also help out in this regard.

Lonny, that is an exceptional bottling!

I buy Taylor Fladgate every time. That’s all.

You can’t go wrong there (except in the 1980’s). The 2011 is great.

Bought two magnums of the Calem 2011. Not planning to touch them for decades. By that time I may be senile and unable to rate. This is the problem with buying young port.

Not in 2011, throw out all the old stereotypes. This vintage can be had at just about any age and enjoyed early and often.

Roy,

I have 6 packs of Dow and Fonseca, and received a gift bottle of Warre. Graham has not yet hit the cellar.

The only one I’ve tried yet is the Quarles Harris. Pleasant drinking but not a long ager.

You’re sure that’s not just the rationalization of an old Port drinker? :wink:

The Fonseca is my all time favourite 2011. Does it matter that it is the only one I have drunk?

Craig:

You’re sure that’s not just the rationalization of an old Port drinker?

Let’s just say, that I had the chance to get to know this vintage inside and out. So yes, I am sure.