What's your score distribution?

Curious minds want to know.

Mean, median, and mode are all 90. Talk about grade inflation…

If people are making good buying decisions, their average score should be high, right? It’s not grade inflation, it’s sampling selectively.

Multiple score distribution:

1. To my palate
  2. To the palate of those who prefer old world style wines because customers want to know.

Unrated: Grocery store and mass produced wines that probably 50 percent of the population purchase and enjoy before they fall prey to wine geekiness.

That’s a really good point I totally forgot about… so much for having majored in math!

While selection bias plays a role, so does cognitive dissonance. People want to believe that they have made good buying decisions and I they will subconsciously rate wines that they have bought higher than perhaps they should, especially if the wine is expensive.

What scores?

MY scores?
Anyone elses scores?
[scratch.gif]

BTW: I sometimes enjoy drinking wine not even thnking about scores?

After review of your bar chart, I feel that my distribution is very similar to yours, however I have never had a 100 point wine. The best score I have handed out is 95. The largest number of my wine scores is at the 90 point line.

P.S. The lowest score I have given out is an 80. It was really a horrible experience. I am not a fan of black pepper and the wine tasted like a glass of liquid black pepper.

What Craig Gleason said, so my average/median/whatever score would be around 92. An 84 or below means I’d much rather be drinking juice or water or beer. 85 is a party wine. 95 and above is extraordinary but the difference between 96 and 100 to me is very small and depends on how the wine is doing that day. So between 86 and 94 is where different factors weigh differently, if that makes sense. If most of the wines I buy came in at 90 points I’d stop buying wine, craft beer to me is more interesting than a 90 point wine. $25 for a 90 point wine is a waste of money for me, assuming 90 points is as good as that wine will get.

I’d say similar, but with no 100’s and more high-80’s wines. Mid-80’s and lower tend to get weeded out by my selection process, and too low mean there are faults (corked, ruined by too much VA, premox, etc.).

I have just a handful below 90. Then the majority of the cellar is between 90 and 93. The pack begins to thin in the 94/95 range. Then just a couple above 95.

Adrian I have to agree that most of my ratings fall between 86 - 95 with no 100s but what blows my mind is that you have tasted and rated some wines of 60 - 75 points. Someone must have steered you very wrong! I would not rate anything below about an 80 since I would have spit out the taste and not swallowed anything below that. [shock.gif] [bleh.gif]

0-1 since I use the Zanotti binary system.
0 = not worth drinking
1 = worth drinking.

You’ve got to try bad wines to know what’s good. Granted one of the 60s was the infamous '04 Ponsot CdlR… [stirthepothal.gif]

What’s the mean? :slight_smile:

+1 almost

0 = not worth drinking
1 = worth drinking
2 = I want to drink a lot more of this

+2 almost

0 = not worth drinking
1 = worth drinking
2 = I want to drink a lot more of this
3 = I want to drink a lot more of this, and my wife likes it, so I can buy it without getting a ton of shit

Yuck, Meh, Yum, the rare Double Yum and almost completely unheard of Triple Yum.

RT

Is the rare Double Yum the same as a train smash of yum yum?

I don’t always score wines, but when I do, they are in the 90th percentile.

I think we all strive to drink the Triple Yum…

Scores?