Bedrock Kamen Cabernet

anyone tried this?

thanks in advance

Jeff

Where did you hear about this?

From the Spring Release announcement:

Hi Everyone,
We are really excited for the Spring Release! Members of the Mailing List can expect the release to hit their inboxes on Tuesday, February 18th. As usual, allocations will be guaranteed until Sunday at midnight Pacific Coast Time. Whatever is left will be offered to the Waiting List on February 25th on a first-come, first-serve, basis. Wines will be shipped in early March assuming the weather is safe.
The release is a diverse one, featuring rosé, a couple of whites, a summery red, Syrah, the last of the 2012 Heritage wines, as well as the exciting first release of Kamen Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon. The release will feature the following wines:
2013 Ode to Lulu Rose, Old-Vine Rosé $19
2013 Abrente Albarino, Napa Carneros $19
2013 Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc (Kick Ranch and Judge Vineyard), $22
2013 Gibson Ranch Grenache Gris, McDowell Valley $20
2012 Pagani Ranch Heritage Wine, Sonoma Valley $37
2012 Griffin’s Lair Syrah, Sonoma Coast $39
2012 Kamen Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Moon Mountain $58
All in all, wines of which we are enormously proud and from two of the greatest back-to-back vintage California has seen.
Cheers!
Morgan and Chris

Was going to ask same question as I just got the release email too.

Haven’t gotten the email yet…

This was my first thought when I saw “Moon Mountain”:

http://www.winefetch.com/deals/emails/Last-Bottle/Single-Vineyard-Cabernet-Sauvignon.-Over-75-Off

This is who harvests the grapes for Morgan:

+1 I almost thought Morgan was kidding.

I know the jokes about Moon Mountain wines, but I’ve mentioned this before in the Last Bottle thread (and taken some flack for it) Moon Mountain is a real place and the mountain itself (not the winery) is one of the most hallowed terroirs in Sonoma.

Kamen is on the backside of this mountain just over the crest from a little vineyard you may have heard of called Monte Rosso. I haven’t tasted the wine, but I do have some pics of the vineyard I can post later. One look at the place and you know why Morgan wanted to make this wine. It’s tightly spaced, impeccably farmed and all organic by Phil Coturri, and terraced into the side of the mountain in soil that’s literally made of crushed rocks.

There is a lot of high-end cab coming off this vineyard but it’s made in a “culty” way i.e. overripe 200% new oak etc. Morgan was the first pick and will keep the oak in check, should be really exciting! I’m not a cab drinker but you know sometimes you look at a vineyard and know it’s special. My only question about the wine is… any mags available?

http://kamenwines.com/gallery

[swearing.gif]

More like:

Morgan + Phil ÷ < $100/btl Sonoma Cab = B.U.T.

^This^

Doctor’s orders!

Robert Kamen gave my wife and I a tour of the vineyard a while back that I posted about:

We’ve bought the Cabernet twice. Very lush and not Moon Mountain in any way except proximity.

Seriously? Kamen is an $80 bottle of very nice cab. Mark Herold is the wine maker and I like the Kamen much better than the Kobalt (Napa) that he also makes. If I could buy Kamen for <$60 the cellar would be stocked. Only concern is my allocation will be too small.

This is very exciting. While much more expensive than any other Bedrock wine ever offered, it’s hard not to get excited about this if you’re a Cab fan. And it’s worth mentioning that Morgan makes an awesome Cab.

Can’t wait…hope the cab allocation is…well big [cheers.gif]

Im hoping and waiting for it.

I used to sell Kamen and had the vineyard tour with Robert in 2004. He is an interesting type A personality.

The vineyard is indeed very rocky and I enjoyed the Cab and Syrah. Bruce’s write up has some good background info on the operation.

Ooooh, I smell stories… share!