Bedrock Spring Release 2014

Saw there were a couple of threads on the new cab but none on the other wines in the release. I know there are a lot of Bedrock fans on this board. Can anybody speak to the wines offered? The fall release was my first release with Bedrock (I picked up 6 bottles of the Monte Rosso Zin) so I’m a Bedrock newbie. I honestly thought I was done with my spring purchases but these wines look too good to pass up.

2013 Ode to Lulu Rose, Old-Vine Rosé $19
2013 Abrente Albarino, Napa Carneros $19
2013 Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc (Kick Ranch and Judge Vineyard), $22
2013 Gibson Ranch Grenache Gris, McDowell Valley $20
2012 Pagani Ranch Heritage Wine, Sonoma Valley $37
2012 Griffin’s Lair Syrah, Sonoma Coast $39
2012 Kamen Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Moon Mountain $58

The rose’, the Griffin’s (given some cellar time) and the Pagani are usually excellent. The cab and the Grenache Gris are new. The other two whites are probably good, but they’re not my thing. It is hard to go wrong. You are more likely to miss a great one by not ordering, than get a bad one.

My Bedrock advice always has been “buy everything you’re allocated and wishlist more”. My cellar has more Bedrock than any other producer, although that honestly has made me think I should start cutting back on how much of it I buy. That being said, this release is the hardest to start that with as the whites/rose’ are such great summer wines and fantastic for the price. And I’ve found them to be just as good a year after their release as well; I always try to save at least one bottle to try the next summer. At this point I’m leaning towards grabbing three each of those and two each of the reds.

I just got a note I’ll be getting my first alloc. What is the Heritage?

The Heritage are field blends. Usually Zin based and then with a host of other black fruited grapes that make wonderfully complex wines. They are Morgan’s specialty and are my favorites of everything he does.

I just received a save the date, but no indication if I’m still waiting list or made the mailing list as both are mentioned in the email. If I do get an offer, I’ll have to bite at least on a few rose’s.

Where is the Hudson Syrah??? I always pick up some SB too - love it during the summer.

Is that T n S? I loved that wine.
Kick Ranch Syrah? Isn’t that also usually in this release?

I wondered about Kick Ranch, too. It’s one of my favorites, so I’d hate to see it go by the wayside. Still maybe less is more for me, since Bedrock, which always benefits from age, has grown to a whopping 30% of my cellar, so the need to show some restraint this time out is fairly strong.

Not ready yet. Morgan is starting to hold back wines that aren’t ready for release.

Thanks very much for the responses. Doesn’t sound like I can go wrong with this offer. Definitely gonna pick up some of that Griffin’s Lair Syrah if I’m allocated any, along with the moon mountain cab.

Hoping my winter release arrives before spring.

FIFY [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

I don’t believe Morgan posts estimates on drinking windows for these, does he? In particular, I am thinking of the reds. I know the Cab is new so folks here don’t know, but what do others think about the aging potential of the Pagani and Griffin’s Lair?

Last year he started posting drinking windows on the website in the wine notes.His past Cabs have been agers so expect the Kamen to be the same.

Pagani is one that usually takes 3 years to show and could go 10. Griffins Lair always seems to need time to evolve as well with the window opening about 4 years after Vintage and going at least 10 more.

I had an '09 Griffins recently. While it was excellent, I thought it could easily go another 10+ years yet.

I know this is dreaming, but it would be fantastic if there was some sort of “redux” opportunity at each release where some prior releases were also available to purchase. I know that there are wines I would re-buy, but which are now in the retail chain at higher prices (plus there is a significant hassle factor).

I assume Morgan gets higher prices for wines from list members than he does with retail distribution (I do acknowledge there is also a marketing element to retail sales, however) - so maybe it would work as a model?

Does anyone Know if the Pagani Heritage is the same as the Pagani Heirloom?

Dennis, Morgan reported some legal issues with the use of the phrase “Heirloom” a couple of years back based on a cease and desist he received from one of the giant liquor and wine conglomerates. Changing the phrasing to “Heritage” was the path of less resistance.

Maybe someday, but as Bedrock is a fairly new business I would guess Morgan needed to sell virtually everything he’s made over the last few years.