Martin Estate wines

Anyone out there with significant experience with this estate in Rutherford? QPR? Style? Comparison to other winemakers?

Thanks!

They produce a cabernet that the whole bottle is then dipped in chocolate. Sometimes a move like that says enough to quell any more interest.

Sarah - are you connected to the wine business here in Napa Valley?

No. Just witnessed the bottle, and the chocolate having to be broke from it before you could even pull cork. Unless that bottling is an industry only secret, can’t see why it’s not known to others.

I personally do not have any experience with the wines, but I believe that Aaron Pott is the winemaker. Not sure how long he has been there, but would imagine it would take him a vintage or two to get things dialed in to the way he wants them.

I have had the chance to drink with Greg Martin as he’s a friend of a friend. I found him gracious and very interesting, made a real fortune in antiquities and completely rejuvenated a 19th century gravity winery in Rutherford. I have had a good number of bottles of the 01, 02, & 04 Estate Puerta Dorada vineyard Cab. I have tasted the 2005 as well. Wine is pretty old-school Napa styled, certainly not extracted or overly tannic. I thought the wine would age nicely on a medium scale, like 10-15 years, but my friend thinks the wine will mature a decade or so beyond that.

How could this be done without heat damaging the wine?

Glenn, interesting comments. I’m always curious to find some more old school styled domestic cabs. Might have to check these folks out.

I brought in the first vintage when @ D&D, and followed the brand for a number of years. Well structured wines without huge tannins is the way I remember. A completely bonkers label design and a historic winery. Greg Martin is a fascinating guy. If Aaron Pott is involved now, that is a good thing.

Thanks everyone for thoughts. Will be visiting next week and will try some wines and take notes

Rick,

Ever bought hard shell chocolate to dip your ice cream cone into? The chocolate is liquid at room temperature and doesn’t harden until it reaches about 40 or 45 degrees. I can think of a number of ways to choclatize a bottle without heat damage.

Look forward to you notes, Noah. I read through the website and am intrigued, especially with Aaron at the helm.

Having a bad 02 Estate Cab tonight: pepper & alcohol. Hoping it rallies with food.

I quite liked them when I visited, but early 2000’s was well before they changed winemaker so I wouldn’t doubt a stylistic change between what you’re tasting and what I’m tasting, Glenn.

How did the wine finish the night?

Very reticent, lacked energy badly. Maybe just tired?