2012 Williams Selyem

Having to make some drastic cuts to the purchases this year due to years of uncontrolled zeal brought on by my discovery of WB and its predecessor and an overloading of my storage. Anyway trying to decide how to allocate and wanted to know if anyone has tasted the 2012 WS wines.

Any insight appreciated.

I’m curious as well.

Is the mailer out?

Tom

I believe next Tuesday if I’m remembering correctly.

The pre-release allocations are out. General release on the 10th.

2012…good Vintage…WS…great track record…Pricing…your paying for great track record…for me…wayyyy to many other choices…pass

Most of the spring release are appelation pinots and Chardonnay along with their zin. I typically spend much more in the fall when the SVD’s are released. The only two I typically get in the spring are the Westside Road neighbors and the RRV. Their portfolio is too large and prices too high to continue buying all but my favorites anymore.

Chris, have you had the Olivet or Terrra de Promissio PNs?

it’s expensive, but Olivet Lane is highly recommended. A vineyard that has historical significance to making a name for WS in the late 80’s/ 90’s and now getting this fruit again.

Carlton, I have never had the Terra de Promisso, and have only had the Olivet at a restaurant - but not really able to taste along with the other wines before. Have had to focus my budget with these guys, so am building verts of the Hirsch, WSR, ESR, Morning Dew (never tasted, buying on faith), RRV, Rochioli and PMV. So much good wine being made up there, just impossible to take it all. We really enjoy building the verticals and tasting through the SVDs (and even the RRVs) to see how the vintages influence the sites. Hopefully next time I visit, we will be able to do a side by side of some of their other offerings and maybe “fine tune” our ordering.

What do you think of those two?

In my very limited experience (I’ve only had older Olivets, and only a few of those), Olivet Lane seems to be particularly sensitive to vintage and can easily take on port-y qualities in warmer years. If you don’t mind the price premium of the Olivet, it is probably going to be pretty spectactular in 2012.

How do WS pinots compare to KB and Kistler? It seems like KB are still big and fruity while the only Kistler I’ve tried was more subdued. I’ve read that WS has been subduing their profiles lately. Also, where does Rivers Marie fit intot he mix?

Got one and only one allocated of the Olivet Lane and took it in an instant. Good juice. took a couple Westside road as well. Have narrowed down my purchasing with them to take the vineyard designate stuff usually. Too much out there to take it all :slight_smile: I am a member for life unless something crazy happens with them but I fell in love with Pinot Noir drinking a 2007 WS Sonoma Coast. It was beautiful and now I am hooked

I guess I am spoiled living here in Nor Cal, but I have a bunch of WS and can pick them up in the auctions for less. You should Wishlist whatever you want as well as Mags because they ARE available.

Nguyen interms of Vivacious>Restarined tasting profiles, the Wineries you mentioned tend to be Vivacious>Middle road also Vineyard and Vintage are variable. I think they have all dialed back on Alc. based on trends a little and vintage more than anything.
I would rate them from Vivacious>Middle in the following order
KB>Kistler>WS>RM

Just Browsed through the Newsletter and Bob Cabral will be leaving after the 2014 Harvest, Wow!

Thanks. Just what I was looking for. I’ll pick up an overpriced bottle locally to try before committing to the list.

I was just at their trade tasting at their facility, and I thought these were the best young WS pinots I’ve had in years… So I bought a couple bottles of each one.
Standouts were Terra de Promissio ($55) an Olivet Lane ($75). QPR best on the Central Coast. ($39)

Thanks for the recommendation (and the enabling pileon ). Just ordered one each of the TdP and the Olivet just to try in addition to my two usuals. Doing the math on average cost per bottle shipped reminds me why I am trying to trim these back.

I haven’t received the letter and can’t find it on their site anywhere. Anybody have a link to post? Not sure how I feel about Cabral leaving. Joe, what exactly does the letter say about this?

Same here, I was surprised that the allocation on the TdP and Olivet was so low, but I’ve only been on their list for a 2 years.