2004 vintage recommendation

My ten year anniversary is coming up, and I’d like to make it special. It would be nice to have something of that vintage, and while its a bit cliché, am leaning towards a bottle of 2004 Dom, but thought I should solicit suggestions. While its hard to go wrong with bubbles, we also both enjoy Pinot.

Criteria: <$200 and readily acquired. It does not need to be in its prime this year, I’d like to cellar something for our 20 year as well if there’s anything that fills the bill.

The 2004 vintage for Barolo is one of the top 4-5 in the last 20-25 years. Pretty much all of Tuscany had a top year in 2004 - Brunello, Chianti Classico(might want on focus on Riserva and single vineyard wines) and Bolgheri(even though I don’t really care for the wines). I think Spain had a very good-great 2004 with Rioja and Ribera.

While I agree that Barolo, Tuscany and Spain had great years in '04, they are all still very young, especially Barolo. I’d stock up on these for future anniversary’s, but in the meantime stick to your backyard. Go with the Dom (by a case for future years) and get a bottle of Shafer Hillside or some other rock star Cali that should be singing at 10 years old…

Burgundy had a great largely forgotten vintage.

And are really approachable now…

The base Barolo and Brunello from many producers are drinking well. They are ten years old. The single vineyard wines and traditional producers probably need more time.

If you enjoy sweet wines, 2004 Yquem is very good and readily available for ~US$150 per half bottle. Not in its prime now but very tasty and will last easily for your 20th (and beyond).

I have seen some very well-priced bottles of 2004 Malescot St-Exupery (including large formats) on Winebid.

For what was considered a less than stellar Bdx vintage where good producers still made very good wines, CT reviews seem to suggest this is a good one.

Also a decent year for Barolo.

Donnhoff knocked it out of the park in 2004.

2004 Bodegas Muga Rioja Gran Reserva Prado Enea
Excellent year in Rioja, available for under $50, drink now through 2024.

Rayas or Pegau 2004.

The 2004 Pichon Baron is really nice for drinking now, and I think will last another decade (although probably not much longer).

Is this sarcastic? The consistent reputation of 2004 has been as the worst red burgundy vintage of the last 15 years at least. (Whites are a different matter). I haven’t tasted enough to have an opinion myself, just going by internet rep…

+1 Pegau 2004…really nice spot for the next couple of years. Generally a fan of the 2004 CDP but the last Beaucastel I had seemed to be shut down at the moment.

That 04 Pichon Baron is delicious.

Other 04s to consider:

-04 white burgundy. Leflaive Pucelles can be found for $199.

-04 Champagne. Cristal can be found around $199.

-04 Chateauneuf du Pape. Vieux Telegraphe is very good and it leaves you enough for 04 Dom.

+1 on Barolo and Champagne, and there are some California Cabs that could fit the bill, including Shafer Hillside, Beringer PR, Dunn HM, Ridge MB and Montelena Estate.

Thanks,
Ed

I think that 2004 Leoville Barton and Pontet Canet are very fine efforts if you like Bordeaux, are well within your price range and should last for a very long time. I recently had a 2004 Haut Bailly that was surprisingly good, but I would not expect it to be as long lived as the first two wines.

2004 Barolo would also be an excellent choice and should provide pleasure over the long haul. As $200 covers the vast majority of Barolo, I suspect you could find something excellent. I don’t have a lot of experience with this vintage (yet), but the 2004 Cavallotto San Giuseppe Riserva was outstanding and might be worth searching out.

+1 on the 2004 Pegau Reservee . Beautiful wine.

+1 on pegau. my lone bottle last year was terrific. In a very good place.