Wayfarer Vineyard New Sonoma Coast Project

I have mentioned previously on this board that Pahlmeyer has seperated the winemaking for the Napa and Sonoma operations. Kale Anderson is dedicated to making the Napa wines under the Pahlmeyer label and starting with the 2012 vintage Bibiana Gonzalez-Rave will be making Pinot Noir and Chardonnay under the Wayfarer label. We couldn’t be more excited about the quality of the Wayfarer wines. Below is a great summary of the project borrowed from the Vinous Media article released today.

Jayson Pahlmeyer purchased Wayfarer Vineyard in 1999 at the urging of Helen Turley and John Wetlaufer. The property sits in the new Fort Ross-Seaview AVA, just two ridges away from the Pacific. David Abreu planted the first vineyards in 2001. For the first few years the fruit from Wayfarer was blended into the Pahlmeyer wines, but beginning in 2012 the Wayfarer wines are being bottled separately. So far, there are three Pinots and one Chardonnay, but I am told there may be more wines in the near future. Cleo Pahlmeyer, Jayson’s daughter, continues her strategy to differentiate the family’s Sonoma and Napa wines. The Napa wines continue to be made by Kale Anderson, while the Sonoma wines are now made by Bibiana Gonzalez-Rave. The proof is in the pudding, and certainly this greater focus seems to be paying dividends. Simply put, the new Wayfarer wines are brilliant. Bibiana Gonzalez-Rave, the super-talented Colombian winemaker whom I have written about in the past, uses a bit of a lighter touch, including less overt oak influence at Wayfarer than she does with the Pahmleyer Pinots and Chardonnays, where the style is a bit more laid back than in the past, but still respectful of the Helen Turley/Erin Green legacy. Within the context of Sonoma Coast Pinot, the Wayfarer wines are textured, deep and intense, but not at all heavy. No detail has been overlooked, so it is hardly a surprise to see how well these wines have turned out. Today, there are a lot of new projects on the Sonoma Coast. Wayfarer is easily among the most exciting.

For those interested we will be releasing the wines in Fall of 2014 and the mailing list sign up is here Wayfarer Mailing List.

I had the opportunity to try the Pinot Noir last night at Oentri in Napa with some good friends and was very impressed with the wine. What amazed me most about the Pinot was the incredible balance it had. Upon pouring I was immediately struck by the nose on this wine. It was so seductive and enticing. An amazing balance of fresh wild fruits and exotic spices were backed up by just the right amount of earthiness and leather. On the palate, the wine is full and heavy yet has enough lively acidity and minerality to keep the wine in check. Everything about this wine is right. Its flashy and bold yet at the same time its sophisticate and delicate. I think this really speaks to the winemaking and potential for this vineyard. This is a wonderful wine that I am very excited to see age.

I am really excited to try these. Thank you for coming to West of West in Chicago!

We are super excited to attend the Chicago event as well! Below is a listing of the various places we will be pouring over the coming months. Hope to meet some folks for the board.

•March 1 - World of Pinot Noir (Santa Barbara, CA)
•March 21 - Pigs & Pinot(Healdsburg, CA)
•April 9 - West of West (Chicago, IL)
•June14 - Pinot Days (San Francisco, CA)
•August 1-3 - West of West (Sebastopol, CA)

James, I look forward to trying the Wayfarer Sonoma Pinot and have placed my name on the mailing list. All this is totally dependant on any news my Dr. should give me telling me I should do otherwise.

:slight_smile:

Tried this last night and loved it. Easily one of the best wines coming out of the Fort Ross-Seaview AVA. In Pursuit Of Balance fans take note.